Low squeel in third gear, wondering if it is a problem.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Low squeel in third gear, wondering if it is a problem. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello All! I have a 2009 WRX that I recently bought. The dealer ship stated that I a brand new ...

Low squeel in third gear, wondering if it is a problem.

Hello All!

I have a 2009 WRX that I recently bought. The dealer ship stated that I a brand new turbo put into my WRX. But, here is my problem:

I know what the normal squeel of the stock turbo sounds like. I hear it through first and second. But, when I get into third gear I only hear the engine rev'ing. And, once I get to nearly 4,000 rpms I hear a almost grinding squeel sound that makes me back off of third gear. When I go into fourth and 5th I don't hear it. It's only in third gear. I'm not to handy with cars so if someone could inform me if this is a potential issue with my turbo(or not) it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    DpDb

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    If it were the turbo the problem would persist in the higher gears. It sounds more like maybe a problem with that actual gear.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Oh no, another tranny rebuild?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    Oh no, another tranny rebuild?
    why are trannies always wanting to get rebuilt.....can't they just be happy how they came from the factory
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    why are trannies always wanting to get rebuilt.....can't they just be happy how they came from the factory
    They're spoiled...wouldn't it be soo nice though?

I Support ClubWRX
    Most people are in a pretty crappy mood when they find out they may have an issue with their tranny. I hope the sentiment isn't lost in the translation above.

I've got problems with mine I'm hoping a simple tranny and diff exchange will help if not fix. won't even go into reverse without rolling foward first now. But no grinding while in gears at all. That does sound like a shot tranny.
    Buy it used? Beat on it?

I Support ClubWRX
    3rd gens not wanting to go into reverse is a noted issue. How many miles, and any other symptoms?
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

well I'm just wondering if i'm reving incorrectly. Like how long should you remain in a gear before the turbo hits its max. (This is a stock turbo)

DpDb

I Support ClubWRX
    The turbo is only used during acceleration above 2500 RPM, and only if accelerating hard enough.

If you are maintaining constant speed at 4000 RPM, your turbo is not boosting. If you are slowly accellerating from 54mph to 55mph, chances are your turbo is not going to boost.

Now, lets assume you are using boost....your max boost numbers are going to be relatively low in the RPM range. The stock turbo peaks (according to Subaru) at 14.3psi, but you would only ever hit the full numbers somewhere between 3000 and 4000 RPM. By redline this has tapered to something like 11psi.

So, now that we have a basis of how turbos work, are you reving 'correctly'? That all depends on what you mean. There is no real wrong way to rev, there is wrong for the situation you are in at the time, but no general wrong.

If you shift too soon (short shift), you are not taking full advantage of the power available, but this is not really wrong. Sure, short shifting will make you less quick than what is possible, but this does not matter unless in a race.....this does not mean you are doing anything wrong. This could make the ride experiance less smooth as well, but it does not mean wrong. People who are trying to get high mpg will commonly shift short (before boost) and accelerate slowly to not use the turbo.

If you take too long to shift, you are really only hurting your miles per gallon numbers.....unless you constantly hold your RPMs high (for example, driving miles down the road in 2nd gear at 5000 rpm for extended time), which is bad for the motor longevity.

General rule of thumb....drive for smooth transitions between gears, smooth acceleration and deceleration, and you will be doing it right. If your ride experiance feels violant and jerking when you are not driving aggressively then you need to work on your technique.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

If I dont hit the boost points in first and second gear. What sort of noise(I know kind of a stupid question in an online thread.) should I hear? A sort of high squeal noise?

-DpDb

How common are transmission problems with the newer 5 speeds in the WRX? I haven't bought a Subaru yet and we are contemplating the STI over the WRX in part b/c of the stronger transmission. Is the WRX transmission a common failure point?

Thanks,
    Sean

PS. Sorry for the thread hijack....trying to place the order for our car at this point and having second thoughts about the WRX vs. the STI.
    Last edited by Sean K.; 11-12-2012 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    How common are transmission problems with the newer 5 speeds in the WRX? I haven't bought a Subaru yet and we are contemplating the STI over the WRX in part b/c of the stronger transmission. Is the WRX transmission a common failure point?

Thanks,
    Sean

PS. Sorry for the thread hijack....trying to place the order for our car at this point and having second thoughts about the WRX vs. the STI.
    Generally people complain about the notchiness of the 5 speed, and that it can be temperamental about going into reverse (you sometimes need to shift to neutral first or some other simple tricks). There's been a few people who've had bearing issues with the clutch, covered by warranty from what I know.

It's not generally a failure point unless you abuse it though.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DpinkyandDbrain View Post
    If I dont hit the boost points in first and second gear. What sort of noise(I know kind of a stupid question in an online thread.) should I hear? A sort of high squeal noise?

-DpDb
    As said above, there is no wrong way to drive with a turbo. It should not be making unwarranted racket in any gear no matter what throttle position, RPM, or change in either.

It should not be "squealing" in any gear at any time. The stock turbo should be fully spooled before 3000RPM in third gear at full throttle (starting from ~2500RPM).

This is how it should sound, but it will be a good bit quieter with stock exhaust intake etc.. Listen for the high pitched whistle. If you are hearing any different noises I'd take it straight back to the dealer.

Last edited by mycologist; 11-12-2012 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Generally people complain about the notchiness of the 5 speed, and that it can be temperamental about going into reverse (you sometimes need to shift to neutral first or some other simple tricks). There's been a few people who've had bearing issues with the clutch, covered by warranty from what I know.

It's not generally a failure point unless you abuse it though.
    Thanks. Saw a couple of trans failure threads and it got me a little skiddish about getting the WRX instead of the STI.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast