backfire w/ lack of boost under excel, incredibly rougher than normal idle
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on backfire w/ lack of boost under excel, incredibly rougher than normal idle within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok so I have An 04 WRX with a lot of mods bought her a week ago. The only mods ...

Exclamation backfire w/ lack of boost under excel, incredibly rougher than normal idle

Ok so I have An 04 WRX with a lot of mods bought her a week ago. The only mods I know of are lightweight flywheel, 6 puck clutch, blouch 16/18 g turbo, 660cc Injectors, 3 in up and dp. she's pushing about 268 awhp. When under acceleration my car bobs and shakes and backfires continuously non stop while losing power. And for some odd reason it'll just go away by itself or if I let it alone for a while and restart it its better for a little while. No fuel spitting out the exhaust or black or blue smoke. Oils are good. I'd really REALLY love some help. I'm new to Subaru and turbos honestly. Teach me something. I'm starving for knowledge.
    Last edited by SleepyWRX; 10-21-2012 at 03:05 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Why did you buy such a heavily moddified car if you know nothing about them? With the small amount of info given I can't even give you a ballpark diagnosis. It could be a bunch of things.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/genera...-question.html

Could be:

dirty MAF
    vacuum leak/boost leak
    bad /loose ground
    bad TPS/MAF/MAP/crank/cam sensor
    bad/loose coil pack
    bad/malfunctioning fuel pump or fuel controller
    bad/malfunction injector

If the car has a CEL then get the code pulled and post it.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

P0457 so its a number of possibilities. 1. Gas Cap 2. Evap Solenoid Hoses saw my purge under my intake manifold was disconnect 3. Purge Valve under the Charcoal Canister (Under the gas tank) 4. Check Valve. Even fuel filter maybe fuel pump isn't good or Idk....than I gotta delete my o2 sensors still (catless) piping so maybe the p0139 is telling the ecu hey I'm jacked up go into limp mode? I know about vehicles just need to learn more about these specifically.

I Support ClubWRX
    Learning isn't going to happen overnight. And you obviously have more than one DTC. You don't "delete" the O2 sensors,especially the front one. So you bought the car with these issues? Also no need to make more than one post on the same issue.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Yes I guess I did, I mean I bought the car in Dallas Texas Nd drove it back to Kansas no issues what so ever. Now it just started happening. And how do you mean you can't delete them? I hear it being done all the time. Oh my apologies I didn't realize that I had made more than one post.

I Support ClubWRX
    You just disable or change the DTC parameters for the rear 02. The front sensor is the primary AFR sensor. Kinda need that and the info it provides.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I'm changing the spark plugs tomorrow to see if it helps a tiny bit, what of the purge valve could this cause rough idle to hardly any power at 4k? Also, when I sit under the hood. I play with the throttle is the acctuator supposed to move? Because its stuck than. Also, my o2 sensors I asked the previous owner he says I need to add spacers to bank 2 could anyone recommend me to something?
    Last edited by SleepyWRX; 10-26-2012 at 06:23 PM.

My friend has a 04 and it sounded how you described yours. Check this video of his car doing the noise. He changed his spark plugs and all has been good for about 3 weeks now.

http://youtu.be/qgSs-x5omKw
    2011 Base WRX

Hmmm exact backfire. What of his boost lag Mr. Hoofhearted? Did it resolve this by chance?

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyWRX View Post
    Hmmm exact backfire. What of his boost lag Mr. Hoofhearted? Did it resolve this by chance?
    As far as I know he says it runs like it always should have. The video doesn't show the sound that great. it would almost sound like he was hitting a 2-step launch the backfire was so loud.
    2011 Base WRX

HAHAHAHAHAHA exactly how I described the sound to my friend! He just installed a 2 step on his gti. And Sir I can't thank you enough for you input, gives me a lil hope for tomorrow when I go install the new plugs.

HAHAHAHAHAHA exactly how I described the sound to my friend! He just installed a 2 step on his gti. And Sir I can't thank you enough for you input, gives me a lil hope for tomorrow when I go install the new plugs.
    Did it fix it?
    2011 Base WRX

Alas no... I had STI plug in them n changed them out with oem WRX plugs.....kinda wish i didnt......but I found out.....and imma feek stupid that my injector clip snapped in half after the top plastic portion snapped in half and broke my prongs.....

P0457 so its a number of possibilities. 1. Gas Cap 2. Evap Solenoid Hoses saw my purge under my intake manifold was disconnect 3. Purge Valve under the Charcoal Canister (Under the gas tank) 4. Check Valve. Even fuel filter maybe fuel pump isn't good or Idk....than I gotta delete my o2 sensors still (catless) piping so maybe the p0139 is telling the ecu hey I'm jacked up go into limp mode? I know about vehicles just need to learn more about these specifically.
    Had the same issue without all those mods and it was a bad injector, might wanna check that out

p0139 p0171 these are throwing now. My o2 sensor. Just dont know if how to fix it...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.