Temp Gauge Rising after DP & UP Install!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Temp Gauge Rising after DP & UP Install! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Today I installed a catless Up & Downpipe on my 02 WRX with NO TUNE. As it is not required ...

Exclamation Temp Gauge Rising after DP & UP Install!

Today I installed a catless Up & Downpipe on my 02 WRX with NO TUNE. As it is not required for my year's ECU. I DO have intentions of doing so soon...BUT

Everything was fine and dandy after I had installed them today but I started noticing that my temp gauge was riding to about the 3/4 (HOT) mark and then going back immediately to normal.
    I figured it was just something to do with my car getting used to the new air flow set-up and resumed driving. Later on in the afternoon after sitting at idle it rose AGAIN and stayed there for about 4 minutes and came back! WTF! And then it just happened again as I pulled into my apartment....I HAVE NEVER HAD ISSUES WITH THIS SINCE I HAVE OWNED THE VEHICLE UNTIL I INSTALLED THESE PARTS.

Does anyone know why these installs triggered this? Or if it is just by some chance some air got into my coolant tank today? Could it just be my car getting used to everything?

It's weird. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You don't say what makes it return to normal and what makes it go up. Can you be more specific on both counts?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

more air flow= hotter burn maybe?
    or a soon to be shot thermostat?

It's hard to say what makes it do it. The first time it got hot I was moving and under acceleration. And the remaining 2 times it happened while idling (for about 5 minutes)

I'd like to think that at some point during installation air had gotten into the coolant system and there is just bubbles in it....I don't know yet though

Quote Originally Posted by 98sob View Post
    It's hard to say what makes it do it. The first time it got hot I was moving and under acceleration. And the remaining 2 times it happened while idling (for about 5 minutes)

I'd like to think that at some point during installation air had gotten into the coolant system and there is just bubbles in it....I don't know yet though
    From doing the up pipe? I havwn't paid attention to the underside of the car as well as I should have yet... But have you tried burping it yet?

Or have you ever changed your coolant yet as well?

I actually haven't. But since I have owned my car (1 year) the coolant levels have always remained the same. Never had an issue with my temperature or coolant. It just seems odd that after my install of the up AND downpipe it started acting up. Tomorrow morning I'll be burping it and double checking my thermostat for anything strange.

It could be the extra air flow is making it run leaner by chance.
    And just because your coolant level remains the same doesn't mean it doesn't need an exchange. It eventually wears out and doesn't cool as well as it should be. But with it being intermittant like it isI'd start with the burping because itsounds as if air bubbles are passing through, and keepng your engine from getting adequette coolant flow.

Definetely let us know how it goes

I certainly will. Checking it out tomorrow morning and I'll report back.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Nothing to do with the UP/DP would likely be causing this, unless you damaged the coolant lines for the turbo or something. Are you smelling any coolant?

Otherwise I'd burp it and troubleshoot as an unrelated event.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Not smelling any coolant or losing any coolant. As I was highly suspicious of head gasket issues. What I'm thinking is that at some point during the jacking up of my engine a coolant line or something along those lines was disturbed. In a couple hours I'll be examining everything further see what it could be. But my thoughts are bubbles in the coolant tank or something disturbed my thermostat....

UPDATE:

Today I burped the system. It was still a bit warm when I did it but when I had opened the coolant cap it sounded like a soda bottle being opened. A bunch of air came out. I started the car up and let it run for a while and then closed it all up and drove the car around all day. No rising in the temp gauge at all. I had turned off the heat, turned on the heat and still nothing. So I was pretty confident that I had fixed the problem. BUT...then I drove somewhere else later in the day and after I had parked and was letting it run the temp gauge rode again to about the 3/4 mark and then went back down...
    I drove it around more then and nothing has come of since. I'm starting to think my thermostat is just going crazy. But I don't know...

Other than that it drives like a dream though...

It sounds like you might have a small leak in the system that's introducing air. Have you checked to make sure there are no leaks at all anywhere? Since it's an 02, I'm guessing the engine bay might be a bit dirty with various signs of oil spillage from fills and other signs of fluids in random places so this might be hard to notice. The best way to easily tell would be to spray clean the engine bay with a pressure washer (or at a car wash) and let it dry and then see if you find a small leak anywhere. The most likely places air could be introduced would be at the overflow tank with a poorly fitting cap and/or cracked overflow tank.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The thermostat sounds like a good bet.

I'd take it in and have it pressure tested first.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.