Temp Gauge Rising after DP & UP Install! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Temp Gauge Rising after DP & UP Install! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Either thermostat or head gasket going bad....

I Support ClubWRX
    Either thermostat or head gasket going bad.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    I thought of the head gasket as well. The behavior of the temp gauge is exactly like what I've seen in cars with bad head gaskets before.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    I thought of the head gasket as well. The behavior of the temp gauge is exactly like what I've seen in cars with bad head gaskets before.

But if it was a head gasket issue wouldn't I be losing coolant? Or having some black scum in my overflow tank? Or having frothy oil?

I'm showing none of these symptoms....

BUT if I open my overflow tank could it be air getting into there and causing it? Because I opened it for a bit to look in....

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 98sob View Post
    But if it was a head gasket issue wouldn't I be losing coolant? Or having some black scum in my overflow tank? Or having frothy oil?

I'm showing none of these symptoms....

BUT if I open my overflow tank could it be air getting into there and causing it? Because I opened it for a bit to look in....
    OPening the overflow tank by the radiator has no effect. You do want to make sure that the pick-up hose in there is submerged though. The second tank up by the turbo should be topped up if necessary when you open it. The lower radiator cap should not be opened (I don't think you even have one there).
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Or maybe the fan has a problem. Just a guess.

UPDATE*****
    Well, I flushed the coolant. What came out looked like it was VERY old and possibly never flushed before. Looked like lemonade tea...I threw in 2 Gallons of Subaru coolant (pre-mixed) and Conditioner additive as well as changed out the thermostat and gasket...the gasket looked a bit beat but the old thermostat didn't look too bad. Car has no issues since and it's been a week since I flushed it.

So I still have no idea why it was acting so strange. But I think it either had to do with the coolant being old or bad t-stat or t-stat gasket....

My car had the same exact problem. 05 WRX. Temp would rise to 3/4 then go back down. Did it off and on for a month or so, then changed thermostat and coolant. It was fine for a week or so then went downhill and got progressively worse... Leaking headgasket on #2 cylinder. I will also note that the problem started directly after flashing a stage 1 tune... The added pressure undoubtedly caused the problem.

Also the radiator cap not holding the right amount of pressure could cause the overheating problem.. Just something else to look at if it continues in the future.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12