Break-in Dilemma
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Break-in Dilemma within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am located in socal; however, I purchased a new 2013 Hatch in phoenix. I know the break in is ...

Break-in Dilemma

I am located in socal; however, I purchased a new 2013 Hatch in phoenix. I know the break in is varied engine speeds below 4,000 without driving constant for a long time. Seeing as it is a 5 hour drive I have a little bit of a dilemma. I plan on taking almost all the side streets that require varying the engine speed more. From the routes I was looking at the longest stretch would be an hour and a half at a constant speed. When the manual says "avoid constant speeds for prolonged periods" any one have an estimate on how long that is? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

No. Just drive it normally. Don't kill it and mash the accelerator to redline...but don't completely baby it either. You can always accelerate a bit on the highway, then slow down for a bit, then speed up for a bit and so on. You'll be fine.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I just got mine past the break in period. My approach was to keep it varying at least every 10-15minutes or so, however my daily commute is 10mins city (suburbs), 10mins highway, 10 mins city. I think you just need to not use the cruise control. If the speed limit is 65, bring it up to 70 for 10-15mins and then bring it down to 60/65 for a bit and repeat.

I'd split up the trip by doing some stretches (for an hour or so) on the highway, then the next hour off and so on.

A 5 hour drive is probably around 300 miles (the trip will be about 1/3 of the break in period, and the beginning of it is more important) so I would take it seriously and do what you can. Just take the scenic route! good luck and enjoy!

Just beat on it from the second you get in the car. Break in periods are not necessary with modern cars. Tolerances are much tighter than they used to be, and the truth is that every car is taken through a breakin procedure before it leaves the factory.

The only reason manufacturers suggest a break in period is so that if there is a defect in the car you are more likely to notice it and bring it back so that they have a chance to fix it, before you go beating on it and turn it into a bigger more expensive fix. And obviously, defects are few and far between.

Don't worry about it. It's just a car, you won't hurt it.

In fact, over in the VW community, the 2.0L turbo motors that are 'babied in' suffer from massive oil consumption issues whereas the ones that were beaten in don't drink any oil whatsoever.

Food for thought.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

I Support ClubWRX
    Read the manual. Subaru engineers know what they are talking about. After all they did engineer the car. I expect them to know how it works too.

I followed the manual. I've had my car for 2 years now. No problems to report so far at Stage 2.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Appreciate the input. I am pretty sure I will have no problem taking my time and enjoying the car. I like the idea of fluctuating the engine speed while I am on the highway. I'll be sure to pull over a few times and take some nice pictures of my new toy. Thinking about cruising through Joshua Tree, should make for some nice shots.

Funny, I almost pulled the trigger on an STI last year from Peoria Subaru and was worried about the same thing. I have made the drive a few times and there are enough stretches of highway where you can slow down a bit, drop her into 4th and vary the RPMs up to 3500-4000. Then, shift back up to 5th. There are also a few hills where you can downshift to 4th.
    Ray
    2013 WRX Limited ISM
    2003 WRX Wagon (sold)
    2013 BMW X5 Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by WRXRayF View Post
    Funny, I almost pulled the trigger on an STI last year from Peoria Subaru and was worried about the same thing. I have made the drive a few times and there are enough stretches of highway where you can slow down a bit, drop her into 4th and vary the RPMs up to 3500-4000. Then, shift back up to 5th. There are also a few hills where you can downshift to 4th.

Yea, looking at the map I think I just need to be conscience of changing engine speeds on the highway occasionally. Fingers crossed I hit some traffic. never though I would say that while living in socal.

So did you end up buying in CA? Although the dealer doc fee is ridiculous in AZ I found much better deals.
    Last edited by homerocks7; 10-18-2012 at 01:17 PM.

If you are not using cruise control driving long distances you wont have to worry about being at a constant speed. I mean cruise control is there for holding constant speed because we cant do it ourselves haha. Your speed will constantly be changing just by driving normal.

Yea, ended up getting a WRX Limited a few weeks back locally. It arrived at the dealer on a Friday, I just happened to stop by to check it out the next day, and ended up buying it. Got a decent price and they treated me well on the trade. There were no other Limited's that I could find within 100 miles at the time so I pulled the trigger. There were other people at the dealership also checking it out so I had to act quick. It was their first shipment of 2013's.

When I was shopping last year, the price quote I was getting from the AZ dealer was really good. Low enough where it was worth it to rent a flatbed trailer and drive out with my buddy with his Dodge 3500 to bring her home (I was concerned about driving it home during break-in like you are).
    Ray
    2013 WRX Limited ISM
    2003 WRX Wagon (sold)
    2013 BMW X5 Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Annihilator817 View Post
    Just beat on it from the second you get in the car. Break in periods are not necessary with modern cars.

In fact, over in the VW community, the 2.0L turbo motors that are 'babied in' suffer from massive oil consumption issues whereas the ones that were beaten in don't drink any oil whatsoever.

Food for thought.

These aren't VWs.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Read the manual. Subaru engineers know what they are talking about. After all they did engineer the car. I expect them to know how it works too.
    +1
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post

These aren't VWs.

+1

I don't understand the relevance of that comment. Both brands are using turbocharged combustion engines.

There have been many studies as of late that have developed evidence to support my claims. Hard break-ins are logical, and has been a technique.used in motors for years to properly seat piston rings and valves. My WRX was broken in this way, leads a much much harder life than most (motorsports use), and burns much less oil than most between changes.

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't understand the relevance of that comment. Both brands are using turbocharged combustion engines.

There have been many studies as of late that have developed evidence to support my claims. Hard break-ins are logical, and has been a technique.used in motors for years to properly seat piston rings and valves. My WRX was broken in this way, leads a much much harder life than most (motorsports use), and burns much less oil than most between changes.
    So basically you're saying you know better than highly educated Subaru engineers? Sweet maybe you should apply and change the way things are done.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    So basically you're saying you know better than highly educated Subaru engineers? Sweet maybe you should apply and change the way things are done.
    Subaru engineers already know this. That's why they put your Subaru on a dyno and beat on it for a few miles before it leaves the factory.

And I've already explained why Subaru still recommends a break-in period.

edit: And how do you know I'm not a highly educated engineer?

I Support ClubWRX
    Subaru engineers already know this. That's why they put your Subaru on a dyno and beat on it for a few miles before it leaves the factory.

And I've already explained why Subaru still recommends a break-in period.
    Better to be safe than sorry in my opinion.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast