Break-in Dilemma - Page 4
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on Break-in Dilemma within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by starkall I agree, what does a tuning shop do after they build a motor? They put it ...

Quote Originally Posted by starkall View Post
    I agree, what does a tuning shop do after they build a motor? They put it on the dyno to tune the car and run the motor though its paces. When ever I ask tuners about what they think of the whole 1000 mile break in business, they laugh at me and say its a joke and to drive the car like you're going to drive it and not baby it.
    Most tuners I know of that build engines usually make sure the engine runs, then give you a base map to go through break-in with, then have you come back for the real tunes...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Break-in Dilemma

Well I don't believe in totally beating the piss out of a brand new car, but doing a pull up to redline isn't going to hurt it. I personally drive it casually for the 1st 300-500 miles with down shifts and pulls to pass cars and such. Then change the oil and begin to drive the car. I by know means beat on my cars. I would refrain from bouncing off the rev limiter until the car a few hundred miles on it. But between 50 miles or 1000 miles nothing will change with how the motor operates. The motor is already where it's going to be once it hits the dealer. I'm not against the 1000 mile break in period, I just know that from the moment I drive off the lot to 1000 miles nothing is going to change and make it safer to drive it hard. I would just recommend changing the oil before you chose to drive it how you're planning on driving it.

It's not about revving the piss out of the motor, its about the cylinder pressure necessary to seat the rings and the valves. Making sure you are constantly boosting in the first 15-20 miles of the motors life is key.

This solves the oil blowby issues that many Subaru turbo motors suffer from.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    So if I understood you correctly a new owner is to drive the piss out of his new car ignoring the break in procedure indicated in the manual. And if the engine or transmission is damaged as a result of my actions , I should take it to the dealer & demand that they fix it under warranty?
    Quote Originally Posted by Annihilator817 View Post
    Yes, precisely.

Well aren't you cute.

From Subaru (and every single other car manufacturer out there, mind you):

Damage or Malfunction Due to Abuse, Neglect, Accident or FireThese warranties do not cover any part which malfunctions, fails or is damaged due to objects striking the car, road hazards, whether on or off the road, accident, fire, neglect, abuse or any other cause beyond the control of SOA.
    You'll have to forgive people for not trusting a single thing some random guy, with no reputation to speak of, says they should do when it direclty conflicts with the manufacturers recommendations, not to mention 90% of the engine manufacturer and tuning community.

Even Cobb suggests a mild break-in procedure: Technical Articles

OP, do what you want, but if you want to keep your car within warranty limits, listen to what Subaru says, not this "annihilator" guy.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Break-in Dilemma

Follow the instructions of the engine builder. If the motor is stock, follow the Owner Manual. If you have a built motor, the shop will have their recommendation.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Well aren't you cute.

From Subaru (and every single other car manufacturer out there, mind you):

You'll have to forgive people for not trusting a single thing some random guy, with no reputation to speak of, says they should do when it direclty conflicts with the manufacturers recommendations, not to mention 90% of the engine manufacturer and tuning community.

Even Cobb suggests a mild break-in procedure: Technical Articles

OP, do what you want, but if you want to keep your car within warranty limits, listen to what Subaru says, not this "annihilator" guy.

So, what constitutes abuse according to Subaru?

And actually, I have quite a good reputation on the real Subaru form. This method is also well known on the real forum. You guys don't get out much, huh?
    Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

I Support ClubWRX

Break-in Dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by Annihilator817 View Post
    So, what constitutes abuse according to Subaru?

And actually, I have quite a good reputation on the real Subaru form. This method is also well known on the real forum. You guys don't get out much, huh?
    Excuse me? Maybe you should head back over to that "real" forum then. We wouldn't want to damage your precious reputation.

I'm sick of this thread.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Thank you everyone for your input. We will try to get out more often.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.