Break-in Dilemma - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Break-in Dilemma within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Mikie13 I know my rights very well and am very educated in this type of thing. I've ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I know my rights very well and am very educated in this type of thing. I've been in the game for a little while through a lot of situations. Subaru can and will deny any claim they feel for any reason they want (obviously some more than others). They'll gladly do it cause it will cost you more to go to court to try and fight it than to fix the car.

And that's what they're banking on when they deny those claims. They are banking on you either a) not knowing your rights, or b) not following through on enforcing your rights.

People can only take advantage of you as much as you let them.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Annihilator817 View Post
    And that's what they're banking on when they deny those claims. They are banking on you either a) not knowing your rights, or b) not following through on enforcing your rights.

People can only take advantage of you as much as you let them.
    Or, you follow break in period, have no problems...and enjoy your car without having to worry about legal rights/claims/warranties/bull****/legal fees. I'll take option B. Thank you.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I followed my own procedure and I'm getting unbelievable reports from Blackstone as well as near zero oil consumption, and I'm using the car for motorsports just like I have been since there were 10 miles on the car.

Those who follow the manufacturers procedure are not seeing this low consumption, or these oil reports because their rings and valves were not properly seated. Most are seeing a half quart consumption if not more between changes from new.

I followed my own procedure and I'm getting unbelievable reports from Blackstone as well as near zero oil consumption, and I'm using the car for motorsports just like I have been since there were 10 miles on the car.

Those who follow the manufacturers procedure are not seeing this low consumption, or these oil reports because their rings and valves were not properly seated. Most are seeing a half quart consumption if not more between changes from new.
    That's a cool story. And I'm happy for you. But I'll still follow what the manual says.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

i bet my blackstone reports are just as good if not better than yours.

and you say you have low oil consumption, well i have none.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowpr View Post
    i bet my blackstone reports are just as good if not better than yours.

and you say you have low oil consumption, well i have none.

It is not possible to have zero oil consumption on a motor, especially a turbocharged one.

What are you using to measure consumption? Not the dipstick I hope...

Can't really measure the physical amount that you put in compared to what you remove either...doesn't account for what's coating the engine and what is left in the bottom of the oil pan anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Can't really measure the physical amount that you put in compared to what you remove either...doesn't account for what's coating the engine and what is left in the bottom of the oil pan anyway...
    But that residual is fairly consistent, and after a few changes, one can develop a base to go on. That is the best bet. The dipstick is not even remotely accurate.

That does make sense in a way. But wouldn't the dipstick provide a constant as well if you change oil at the same intervals, use the dipstick after the car has been sitting an X amount of time, every single time you change it? Yeah you don't know an actual amount, but you can see levels change compared to the initial check.

On a dipstick, you cannot read fractions of a quart accurately. You can say it burned about a 1/3, 1/2, 1/4 quart etc. but you aren't accurately measuring ounces.

My used oil goes back into motor oil quart bottles. That's accurate.

I do know an actual amount because the residual is the same every time, and I put the same amount of oil in every time. Figure my oil is overfilled the amount of the residual, which is next to nothing.

Break-in Dilemma

I agree, what does a tuning shop do after they build a motor? They put it on the dyno to tune the car and run the motor though its paces. When ever I ask tuners about what they think of the whole 1000 mile break in business, they laugh at me and say its a joke and to drive the car like you're going to drive it and not baby it.

Quote Originally Posted by starkall View Post
    I agree, what does a tuning shop do after they build a motor? They put it on the dyno to tune the car and run the motor though its paces. When ever I ask tuners about what they think of the whole 1000 mile break in business, they laugh at me and say its a joke and to drive the car like you're going to drive it and not baby it.

What the hell do engine builders know!

How can they no more than the almighty manual!

I call shenanigans!

Knowing several people with built Subaru engines they all went through a breakin period. I'd follow what the manual says. I have 9.5k on my car, don't burn any oil and its Stage 2+ and I race through schoolzones.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

Break-in Dilemma

School zones rock

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast