Break-in Dilemma - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 53

This is a discussion on Break-in Dilemma within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by michaelwfox Better to be safe than sorry in my opinion. But as I've explained, a soft break-in ...

  1. #16
    Registered User Annihilator817's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    Better to be safe than sorry in my opinion.
    But as I've explained, a soft break-in isn't necessarily safe.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Annihilator817 View Post
    But as I've explained, a soft break-in isn't necessarily safe.
    It sounds like it is neither safe or damaging according to your reasoning. So do you think car manufacturers that recommend soft break ins are all conspiring to prevent major fixes for themselves?

  4. #18
    Registered User Annihilator817's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by homerocks7 View Post
    It sounds like it is neither safe or damaging according to your reasoning. So do you think car manufacturers that recommend soft break ins are all conspiring to prevent major fixes for themselves?
    I'm pretty sure that car manufacturers are in the buisness of making money while paying out as little as possible, so if that's your conspiracy, then yes.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

  5. #19
    Registered User shadowpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    TX, NY
    Posts
    1,579
    i like to listen to the one that gives me a warranty...

    take from that what you will.

  6. #20
    Luke Skywalker Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    20,373
    Quote Originally Posted by Annihilator817 View Post
    I don't understand the relevance of that comment. Both brands are using turbocharged combustion engines.

    There have been many studies as of late that have developed evidence to support my claims. Hard break-ins are logical, and has been a technique.used in motors for years to properly seat piston rings and valves. My WRX was broken in this way, leads a much much harder life than most (motorsports use), and burns much less oil than most between changes.
    The relevance is, every type of engine is different. Subarus have been known to last very well when following break-in period suggestions. Nobody says anything about babying them. Just don't to beating the piss out of it...If I spent $30k on a brand new car, I might follow what the manual says, no matter how much I know about cars or how much of an enthusiast I am. That way if something does break within that break-in period...they can't come back and say "ohh you were beating the piss out of it and didn't break it in correctly." Seems like logic to me...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

  7. #21
    Moderator rage-wrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yonkers/NYC
    Posts
    10,719
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    The relevance is, every type of engine is different. Subarus have been known to last very well when following break-in period suggestions. Nobody says anything about babying them. Just don't to beating the piss out of it...If I spent $30k on a brand new car, I might follow what the manual says, no matter how much I know about cars or how much of an enthusiast I am. That way if something does break within that break-in period...they can't come back and say "ohh you were beating the piss out of it and didn't break it in correctly." Seems like logic to me...
    +1
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

    The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread


    Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

  8. #22
    Registered User Annihilator817's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    184
    Here's something I guess people don't understand, because I hear this a lot: Subaru can NEVER deny a warranty claim because they think you were driving the car hard.

    There is a ton of ignorance surrounding manufacturer warranties everywhere I go. Educate yourself, know your rights.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

  9. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    The relevance is, every type of engine is different. Subarus have been known to last very well when following break-in period suggestions. Nobody says anything about babying them. Just don't to beating the piss out of it...If I spent $30k on a brand new car, I might follow what the manual says, no matter how much I know about cars or how much of an enthusiast I am. That way if something does break within that break-in period...they can't come back and say "ohh you were beating the piss out of it and didn't break it in correctly." Seems like logic to me...
    Agree. In my lifetime I have never been disappointed after following directions. Things usually work out better when I do.

  10. #24
    Moderator rage-wrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yonkers/NYC
    Posts
    10,719
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Annihilator817 View Post
    Here's something I guess people don't understand, because I hear this a lot: Subaru can NEVER deny a warranty claim because they think you were driving the car hard.

    There is a ton of ignorance surrounding manufacturer warranties everywhere I go. Educate yourself, know your rights.
    So if I understood you correctly a new owner is to drive the piss out of his new car ignoring the break in procedure indicated in the manual. And if the engine or transmission is damaged as a result of my actions , I should take it to the dealer & demand that they fix it under warranty?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

    The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread


    Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

  11. #25
    Registered User Annihilator817's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    So if I understood you correctly a new owner is to drive the piss out of his new car ignoring the break in procedure indicated in the manual. And if the engine or transmission is damaged as a result of my actions , I should take it to the dealer & demand that they fix it under warranty?
    Yes, precisely.

    And transmissions do not need break-in, at all, whether it be hard or soft. They are ready to go out of the box.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

  12. #26
    Luke Skywalker Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    20,373
    Quote Originally Posted by Annihilator817 View Post
    Here's something I guess people don't understand, because I hear this a lot: Subaru can NEVER deny a warranty claim because they think you were driving the car hard.

    There is a ton of ignorance surrounding manufacturer warranties everywhere I go. Educate yourself, know your rights.
    I know my rights very well and am very educated in this type of thing. I've been in the game for a little while through a lot of situations. Subaru can and will deny any claim they feel for any reason they want (obviously some more than others). They'll gladly do it cause it will cost you more to go to court to try and fight it than to fix the car.

    You can break in your cars hard...and I'll break in my car following a mix of the manual and giving it a little bit here and there. And in the long run, both our cars will run perfectly fine and be plenty fun and I bet you wouldn't be able to tell a difference.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

  13. #27
    Luke Skywalker Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    20,373
    Quote Originally Posted by homerocks7 View Post
    Agree. In my lifetime I have never been disappointed after following directions. Things usually work out better when I do.
    That's what I'm saying! Ever try and put together something from Ikea without directions? You'd be screwed...and if you messed up without following the instructions...they'd deny your warranty claim quick
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

  14. #28
    Moderator rage-wrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yonkers/NYC
    Posts
    10,719
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    That's what I'm saying! Ever try and put together something from Ikea without directions? You'd be screwed...and if you messed up without following the instructions...they'd deny your warranty claim quick
    Not just follow directions but follow them to a t or you are screwed. Use the wrong screw & you are screwed. I put together a whole kitchen. There were about 50-60 boxes big & small & it took me 2 days to figure out what was what.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

    The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread


    Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

  15. #29
    and the Funky Bunch Calvinball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Philly Area
    Posts
    5,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    IYou can break in your cars hard...and I'll break in my car following a mix of the manual and giving it a little bit here and there. And in the long run, both our cars will run perfectly fine and be plenty fun and I bet you wouldn't be able to tell a difference.
    +1 to this. Until I see some legitimate studies with decent sample sizes proving otherwise, and not just anecdotes, I'll err on the side of caution and stick with what the Subaru engineers say.

    And I don't buy the conspiracy theory that manufacturers want to make more money off of us with repairs. The fewer problems there are with cars the more likely there are going to be repeat customers. Repeat customers mean a new car sale/lease and a trade-in to sell. That doesn't sound like bad business to me, not for a company that (at least they did, not sure if they still do) likes to brag about how many of their sold cars are still on the road.

    But in the end, like Mikie said, to each their own. I just prefer to stick with the manufacturer recommendations.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

  16. #30
    and the Funky Bunch Calvinball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Philly Area
    Posts
    5,910
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Not just follow directions but follow them to a t or you are screwed. Use the wrong screw & you are screwed. I put together a whole kitchen. There were about 50-60 boxes big & small & it took me 2 days to figure out what was what.
    Man, eff Ikea furniture. Ever try to take a modern Ikea piece apart to move it and then put it back together? Those damned wooden dowels they use for everything receive a nice fat F from me for durability.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •