Funny noise after hitting a tire on the road!!!

This is a discussion on Funny noise after hitting a tire on the road!!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Yesterday I was driving and I hit a piece of tire on the freeway. I pulled over right away but ...

Funny noise after hitting a tire on the road!!!

Yesterday I was driving and I hit a piece of tire on the freeway. I pulled over right away but everything looked/sounded normal so I kept going. But @ high RPMS (tryin to get up to speed quickly) I noticed 2 things...

1. All of a sudden I could hear my turbo spooling clearer than ever
    2. @ high RPMS I heard this weird sucking noise

I figured maybe I broke a hole in my exhaust or caused an open somewhere. Or maybe I knocked off a piece of my airbox or something. Well the next day I put it on a lift but I couldnt find any damage to the exhaust or intake. I'm still hearing the noise though but only under high RPMS under load. I don't know what it is but I'm worried I'm gonna mess something up. Anyone have any idea what it could be???

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Do you have an aftermarket exhaust? If not, you'll know when theres a hole in it.
    I don;t know why your turbo is more noticeable. Maybe a chance that part of your slash shield broke off and sounds like more air rushing in?

Re: Funny noise after hitting a tire on the road!!!

I wouldn't drive it until you have it fixed. But if you must, keep it under 3k. I would bet its an exhaust leak somewhere, do a Seafoam smoke test.

Posted from a fone.

You may not have a "hole" per say.. but you may have knocked something loose. When you had it in the air was the exhaust fully attached? No play or looseness?

How big was this piece of re-tread and where did it hit the car?

If you had an exhaust leak you'd be able to hear it at any speed/load. Its unlikely anything happened to the intake unless you dont have a splash shield any longer or some part of the intake was exposed to be damaged. More info needed
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Also, if your car is still under warranty, you can probably just take it in and have them fix it.
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

lol.. yeah just dont tell them you ran something over
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Ok well i recently took off my splash shield because it was just hanging and one of the bolts was stripped and I didnt have a replacement...besides it was all screwed up so I was gonna get another from the dealer but I havent had enough time. Also I do have an aftermarket Cat-Back exhaust and yes it did have a lot of play when i shook it. Oh and I didnt get a good look at the re-tread but I'd say it was like half the tire straightened out though. And it went directly under the middle of the vehicle

Lol nah my warranties are up...already got 106K miles on it

eek.. damn man that sucks. I'd check all the joints in the exhaust.. not just by hand but with wrench/ratchet to make sure they're tight.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    That is basically what you would hear if you replaced the stock UP or maybe DP with an aftermarket one without the heat shields. I.e. You may have knocked off a heat shield from the exhaust, in which case the sucking noise could be the intake. Uppipe leaks usually make a fairly riotous noise, but I wouldn't rule that out and it is really hard to see up in there.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb