Oil leak at head? Help
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Oil leak at head? Help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I recently had my oil changed by my mechanic. He told me that my 2011 wrx was leaking oil from ...

Oil leak at head? Help

I recently had my oil changed by my mechanic. He told me that my 2011 wrx was leaking oil from the head and to take it to the dealer. I dropped it off this morning and they told me that the leak was coming from the penzoil oil filter and that the oil plug. The guy said that the washer for the oil plug has to be replaced every oil change. Anyone ever hear this or am I just getting the run around

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Its called a crush washer, and you should replace it every oil change correct.
    ++ + ++P3LLA++ + ++

06 STi ( Stage II ) BOOSTED
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE # 808

You might be able to get away with 2 or three depending on how tight you torque the drain plug. But it's always safer to replace it every oil change. Same with the filter, obviously always needs to be replaced, but, if you over tighten non oem ones such as penzoil they're pron to leaking

I Support ClubWRX
    Fumoto oil drain valve FTW.............
    Fumoto Valve | Qwik Valve™
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

seems like an awesome add on, anyone use one on an 2011?

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by jmb8806 View Post
    seems like an awesome add on, anyone use one on an 2011?
    I have one on my 2011 WRX. I got the version that doesn't have the spout. It makes for 10-15 minute oil changes and UOA sampling a breeze. I've had it on for about 20,000 miles now without any issues.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It is possible indeed, however it is a little hard to say who is to be trusted. You either need a new mechanic or a new dealer.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

ok so heres where i stand...dealer told me that the oil was from the non oe filter, and the fact that the crush washer was not replaced. this afternoon i bought a oe filter and a new crush washer and went back to the shop i had it changed and had it changed again using the oe filter and new washer, additionally they cleaned all the oil from underneath my car. Im taking it back in a few days to have them check it out and see what it looks like. I trust my mechanic because its my older brother, several other of his co workers looked at today as did i and the fact that the dealer told me that the oil blew up onto the head from the filter or plug seems very unlikely. unless oil now defies gravity. but i guess ill see when i check it out in a few days. it also dawned on me that i purchased an extended warranty so if there is a problem that the dealer wont fix that should cover it i think.

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds good. I'd stick with the OEM oil filters either way - there are solid arguments for that.

ya, if you have oil above your filter and plug, its something else. If it's just above it though it's still possible, I'm talking about 7+ inches above the spot the dealer says it's coming from. It's very likely it's just those spots though. Especially if you've had the oil changed before and they didn't clean it very good. People come back all the time saying they have an oil leak and it's just residual

As far as taking it back for someone else to look at and see if it's leaking, you can do it yourself for free in your own driveway. Just remove the splash shield, not too hard, lookat the drain plug. If it's still leaking from there with a new washer, check to see if it's tight. If it is tight suspect a stripped oil pan. Gotta love aluminum. As far as the filter goes, make sure it's torqued to the OE specs...if it's still leaking with an OEM, don;t really know what to tell you. Never seen them leak for any other reason other then not tight enough,or over tightened.

I could do it in my drive way but using a lift is just easier haha. And this was my first oil change I've done on the car since I bought it about 2 months ago so I don't know if it was clean before or what. But it was spotless after my brother cleaned it today so well see how it looks in a few days if the oil is back where it was (up on the head) it's unlikely that its coming from the plug or filter assuming they won't be leaking but it's really a waiting game now

Upon the head....by the fill hole?

Ya, it is always easier to use a lift. Lucky work lets me use mine every Wednesday...but I noticed I was leaking from my drain plug gasket. Just stick your head under there, and you'll see it =p

I Support ClubWRX
    lol I've done that. Could be good thinking.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	108985

That was all covered

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.