2013 WRX First Oil Change 1k

This is a discussion on 2013 WRX First Oil Change 1k within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; On my drive to IAG yesterday to get my taillight overlays installed I have finally surpassed 1k miles on my ...

2013 WRX First Oil Change 1k

On my drive to IAG yesterday to get my taillight overlays installed I have finally surpassed 1k miles on my 2013 WRX. I have searched around for a while on here about what oil and filter to use and have decided on a few.

I plan on using Rotella T6 5w40. Would I have any warranty problems with this down the road? My manual says to use 5w30.
    Or should I just use Motul 5w30? Although expensive, meets the required 5w30.

I'm still debating on which filter to use. The OEM blue? Or Purolator PL14460, PL14610, or PL14612? Again would I have warranty problems if I use the larger Purolator filters?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Use the OEM filter. I use T6, not sure what the warranty implications are on that.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

Aftermarket filters dont have a high enough bypass pressure. We need 22psi.. almost all aftermarket filters are 12-15psi. If you like paying more and not actually filtering any of the oil.. feel free to run a aftermarket filter.

The oem blue filter works just fine. Also, why not run Mobil1 ?
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Shawn, I believe the only other filter that has a high enough bypass filter besides the OEM is the wix filter from NAPA
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

those are still around 17-18psi if I remember right. A little while back I got hooked into a epic nasioc thread about oil filters that linked all over the place. In 2 or 3 hours I'd been to just about every impreza/wrx/sti and even a few outback forums and all of them pointed back to the blue or black oem filters. Cant get the black ones anymore, supposedly they had metal insides vs cardboard in the new ones. I figure it like this.. if cardboard is good enough for MB, BMW and Porsche.. its good enough for my scoobie.

94K mi and I've never run other than mob1 and the blue filters. Oil analysis at 60K mi was good.. waiting till 98K to take my next one. I'm sure it wont be much different.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Registered User thescreensavers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ9ninety View Post
    On my drive to IAG yesterday to get my taillight overlays installed I have finally surpassed 1k miles on my 2013 WRX. I have searched around for a while on here about what oil and filter to use and have decided on a few.

I plan on using Rotella T6 5w40. Would I have any warranty problems with this down the road? My manual says to use 5w30.
    Or should I just use Motul 5w30? Although expensive, meets the required 5w30.

I'm still debating on which filter to use. The OEM blue? Or Purolator PL14460, PL14610, or PL14612? Again would I have warranty problems if I use the larger Purolator filters?
    Check the manual it will list what certifications the oil needs to meet, if Rotella T6 meets that then you should be ok.

Well got under the car and found that my car came with the BLACK OEM filter. I had already purchased the blue one so I went ahead with the oil change anyway. The manual lists the black and blues ones as okay.

Quote Originally Posted by SJ9ninety View Post
    Well got under the car and found that my car came with the BLACK OEM filter. I had already purchased the blue one so I went ahead with the oil change anyway. The manual lists the black and blues ones as okay.
    The black filters are much better than the blue but I'm pretty sure you can't get them in the states. I personally use the blue filter and German Castrol oil.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

I Support ClubWRX
    The black filters are made & sold on in Japan AFAIK. The blue "OEM" filters are made by Honeywell in Mexico if I am not mistaken. They used to be made in Canada.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    The black filters are much better than the blue but I'm pretty sure you can't get them in the states. I personally use the blue filter and German Castrol oil.
    My dealership here in Northern VA had 2 black (one same size as the blue and one a little taller) and 1 blue filter when I went to buy the filter. I chose the blue over the black ones. I guess i'll try the black one next time.