only 10lbs of boost!help=( - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

This is a discussion on only 10lbs of boost!help=( within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; sorry i could not put it on google docs because my computer is a dinosaur and it wont let me ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(1).JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	136.2 KB 
ID:	109243

sorry i could not put it on google docs because my computer is a dinosaur and it wont let me get an update or something like that

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

any tips fellas? still have knock and no leak -__- my tuner said to get a boost controller.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It looks a lot better. If the knock sticks around on the next tank or two of gas, maybe have him touch up that area.

It looks like you lifted but I can't see exactly what you did without the throttle position.

I wouldn't just jump into an MBC - the boost is pretty close.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    It looks a lot better. If the knock sticks around on the next tank or two of gas, maybe have him touch up that area.

It looks like you lifted but I can't see exactly what you did without the throttle position.

I wouldn't just jump into an MBC - the boost is pretty close.
    I kinda wanted to boost 19,
    Also would it matter if I got a bc after my tune or would I need to retune.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by scobby07 View Post
    I kinda wanted to boost 19,
    Also would it matter if I got a bc after my tune or would I need to retune.
    Oh. I thought you were looking for stock boost levels. You should log just your RPM, throttle position, DAM, boost error, boost PSI, and wastegate duty cycle. The wastegate duty cycle will tell you if your ECU can get to higher boost without a boost controller by just tuning the boost control in the map better. You could try using a smaller restrictor pill opening diameter (with a touch up tune). Also, you could use an aftermarket boost control solenoid (with a tune).

With an MBC your car can't control boost, so if for some reason you get bad gas etc. and it is trying to compensate it won't be able to. In an extreme example, bad gas but full boost could lead to engine damage. Also you can't taper the boost at higher RPM as it likely should. I don't know if your turbo will hold 19psi to red-line without getting out of its efficiency range. If it can't hold it, it will just blow hotter air which will reduce your power and likely cause knock.

You will need to have it tuned if you use an MBC. You have to worry about partial throttle full boost (bad) and open loop/closed loop transition issues. Also, if you bump up the boost more with an MBC it will put you into higher load cells that your tuner won't have seen and therefore won't have tuned. It can be a good setup if tuned properly as they give really solid boost response and fast spool if you get a good one.

The best option is a hybrid setup -

GrimmSpeed Boost Control / Hybrid FAQ - NASIOC

new hybrid mbc/ebc method of boost control - NASIOC
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

yeah i am planning on going with the ebc grimspeed and have my tuner retouch it up once again. hope this helps and ill ask him about touching the knock up

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345