only 10lbs of boost!help=( - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on only 10lbs of boost!help=( within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by MainFrame I'm not that familiar with AP logs, but from the looks of that there is something ...

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    I'm not that familiar with AP logs, but from the looks of that there is something seriously wrong with your car, not the boost problem. Actually, it's a good thing it isn't reaching full boost because you might have already blown the engine if it was making full boost.

I would say the proper way to post a log would be via google docs, but if that was my car I wouldn't drive it again until I figured out what was wrong.

Disregarding the low boost, you are seeing some significant knock, and your DAM has dropped all the way to 1. Timing is pulled WAY back, and you're still knocking.. something is wrong.
    I think you are confusing this with another thread - this is a 32bit ECU (07 STi) so the DAM is actually fine. It is maxed out at 1.

There is nothing wrong with your boost control system - it is doing exactly what your ECU is telling it to. That is indicated by the boost error which is minimal. Also your boost gauge is off, and you are hitting around 13 psi.

You are hitting your boost target. The only reasonable explanation is that you are running the wrong map. Or you are at very high elevation maybe?

There is an issue with knock on the high end. Could be bad gas or an issue with the map. Put a good map on and see whether it persists. If it does, it is enough that you have to take care of it right away.

Clean your MAF (find the instructions that indicate it is the hidden wire up in the tube that you gently mist with MAF cleaner) and check all the hose clamps on the intake track especially between the MAF and the turbo.

What map does the AP tell you you are running???

You should be using the 2007 sti stage I map for the appropriate gas (91 octane, 93, or AZ, Ca, NV). Make sure it is on your AP (or download it from Cobb) and follow the directions from Cobb exactly (strong battery, everything powered off). Especially do not turn off the ignition if there is any issue during the process. Run it as the base map and as the on the fly map. Note when you load a new map or reset the ECU it may take a while for your boost to come up to target (if Cobb resets your DAM at <1 which I think they do).
    Last edited by mycologist; 10-23-2012 at 05:05 AM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    I think you are confusing this with another thread - this is a 32bit ECU (07 STi) so the DAM is actually fine. It is maxed out at 1.

There is nothing wrong with your boost control system - it is doing exactly what your ECU is telling it to. That is indicated by the boost error which is minimal. Also your boost gauge is off, and you are hitting around 13 psi.

You are hitting your boost target. The only reasonable explanation is that you are running the wrong map. Or you are at very high elevation maybe?

There is an issue with knock on the high end. Could be bad gas or an issue with the map. Put a good map on and see whether it persists. If it does, it is enough that you have to take care of it right away.

Clean your MAF (find the instructions that indicate it is the hidden wire up in the tube that you gently mist with MAF cleaner) and check all the hose clamps on the intake track especially between the MAF and the turbo.

You should be using the 2007 sti stage I map for the appropriate gas (91 octane, 93, or AZ, Ca, NV). Make sure it is on your AP (or download it from Cobb) and follow the directions from Cobb exactly (strong battery, everything powered off). Especially do not turn off the ignition if there is any issue during the process. Run it as the base map and as the on the fly map. Note when you load a new map or reset the ECU it may take a while for your boost to come up to target (if Cobb resets your DAM at <1 which I think they do).

Shouldn't he be running a stage 2 map? He mentioned he has a Perrin DP. If it were my car I'd take it to a local tuner and look into a custom map if flashing to the Cobb stage 2 map doens't fix your problem
    "If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious sh*t."

'10 WRX DGM Sedan: CNT Catted DP, SPT Exhaust, Perrin STS adapter/bushings, TP Stage 2

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jlinnell98 View Post
    Shouldn't he be running a stage 2 map? He mentioned he has a Perrin DP. If it were my car I'd take it to a local tuner and look into a custom map if flashing to the Cobb stage 2 map doens't fix your problem
    You know, I went back and looked for the mods but I missed the post. You are correct.

I'd also say with the headers I'd skip the cobb stage II map even and go with a custom map from an etuner or a local that really knows subarus.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

Ahh.. fair enough. I'm not familiar with that knock control logic. I don't even have DAM, so it gets confusing with different ECUs/logging methods.. I keep a close eye on my IAM tho.

OK BUT I THOUGHT I SHOULD TRY TO HIT 15PSI SINCE I HAVE A COUPLE MODS.
    WHERE SHOULD THE KNOCK NUMBERS BE AT?
    OKAY I WILL CLEAN MY MAF TOMMOROW SINCE I AM OFF =)
    I HONESTLY DO NOT KNOW THE MAP SO I WILL CHANGE IT TO STAGE 1 91 OCTANE AND DO THE DATA LOG AGAIN. I STILL FIND IT WERID THAT BOOST TARGET IS 12PSI AND WHEN I DRIVE IT AND USE THE ACCESPORT TO SEE THE BOOST, IT ONLY GOES TO 10PSI

Quote Originally Posted by scobby07 View Post
    I HONESTLY DO NOT KNOW THE MAP SO I WILL CHANGE IT TO STAGE 1 91 OCTANE AND DO THE DATA LOG AGAIN. I STILL FIND IT WERID THAT BOOST TARGET IS 12PSI AND WHEN I DRIVE IT AND USE THE ACCESPORT TO SEE THE BOOST, IT ONLY GOES TO 10PSI

No.. you already said the car has a Perrin downpipe on it. That means it needs to be on the stage two map, running the downpipe without the proper tune can be harmful to the engine. Same with the intake, and unfortunately for you, Cobb does not have an OTS map for the SPT intake. The headers also need to be tuned for since they change the VE of the engine. Personally I would not drive the car with those mods without a custom tune. If that is not an option, you at least need to be running the stage two map and log it a bunch to be sure it's okay.

Also, the AccessPort isn't only going to 10psi, the picture of the log you posted shows that the AP is reading 12.92psi @ 4693rpm.

yeah i would think a stage 2 map would be helpful.
    and i would get a pro tune but im waiting to get injectors and get my walbro fuel pump installed.
    isnt that still low?? I just wanna run stock boost i think my sti is kinda slow =( like i said, i used to have a stock evo and feel the evo ALOT faster and this sti has parts=0

my brother also just got a 2005 sti with a pro tune and a map for it on HIS accessport...Can i use his accesport to use his map on my car or is that not possible?

my brother also just got a 2005 sti with a pro tune and a map for it on HIS accessport...Can i use his accesport to use his map on my car or is that not possible?

No.. even if it was the exact same year model with the exact same mods, every car is different and it's something I would not risk. Regardless of that, the way the AP works, you would have to remove the map from his car to be able to use the AP on a different car. If his car has the same intake, headers, and exhaust as yours I guess it would be feasible to take his map and build a base map for your car from it using AccessTuner Race. But it doesn't sound like you are really grasping the basics of tuning, so that's not really something I would suggest trying.

yeah im especially since he got his car with 530hp and a bigger turbo and a lot more mods.
    so i guess im going to clean my MAF tomorrow and change the map to a stage 2
    i dont c how these things solve my issue of not being able to boost at least 14 or 15psi

yeah im especially since he got his car with 530hp and a bigger turbo and a lot more mods.
    so i guess im going to clean my MAF tomorrow and change the map to a stage 2
    i dont c how these things solve my issue of not being able to boost at least 14 or 15psi

But you don't know what map is on your car? If the map you're running is only targeting 13psi, then switching to the correct stage two map would most certainly solve your problem.. although I don't think not reaching 14psi is your problem, I think it's a symptom of the problem.

In that log picture you posted, what gear were you in, and what was your throttle opening angle?

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    In that log picture you posted, what gear were you in, and what was your throttle opening angle?

i was in 4th gear going from 2500prm to redline just as the video suggested

i honeslty do not know the map i will check tomorrow

Have you tested the car for boost leaks? That's the next thing I would do..

no i havent not sure how to do that..
    can it also be because of loose bolts on the exhaust??? my exhaust sounds as if its losing air

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast