only 10lbs of boost!help=( - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on only 10lbs of boost!help=( within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Update on the underboosting. I went to Subaru got the restrictor pill , replaced it, and still under boosting ;(x ...

Update on the underboosting. I went to Subaru got the restrictor pill , replaced it, and still under boosting ;(x anyone think it can be the boost control solenoid?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by scobby07 View Post
    Update on the underboosting. I went to Subaru got the restrictor pill , replaced it, and still under boosting ;(x anyone think it can be the boost control solenoid?
    You really need to do the log next. It isn't hard. If there is a large boost error in the log, it is likely the BCS or a boost leak.

It may just be that your gauge is off or you are running the wrong map. You should post what map you are running, which you can easily find out when you plug in the AP.

Again, the AP is a powerful tool - you need to learn how to use it for these basic things.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Removing line 4 tells you nothing, the BCS just vents to atmosphere then which will skew your MAF reading but will not affect boost.

Don't remove line 3 without plugging the T off at the turbo end (or else you will have run-away boost) - that will tell you your wastegate spring pressure. That is worth checking as if your spring is weak you will boost less. I'd test it by running a new line directly from the compressor to the wastegate actuator though.

It is likely your BCS or possibly the restrictor pill, vacuum line size, or T-fitting size.

i think you might be right about those things. Yesterday, I replaced the restrictor pill and the hose with it and still nothing.
    can it really be the vacuum line size or t fitting size??? How can i Test the bcs?

You really need to do the log next. It isn't hard. If there is a large boost error in the log, it is likely the BCS or a boost leak.

It may just be that your gauge is off or you are running the wrong map. You should post what map you are running, which you can easily find out when you plug in the AP.

Again, the AP is a powerful tool - you need to learn how to use it for these basic things.

how do i get to the log??
    I dont think the gauge is off because it does not run as strong as I think it should considering i had a stock evo and think the evo is way faster.. Can running the wrong map really make me boost less??

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by scobby07 View Post
    how do i get to the log??
    I dont think the gauge is off because it does not run as strong as I think it should considering i had a stock evo and think the evo is way faster.. Can running the wrong map really make me boost less??

Since boost is pretty much entirely controlled by the map, absolutely.

I Support ClubWRX
    You can only really test it by swapping in a known good one. You can hook it up to 12 volts and listen if it clicks, or put the car in test mode to listen and it might work as well. If it doesn't click it is likely dead.

Are you adverse to using your AP for some reason? It isn't any harder than using a cell phone.

How are you measuring boost? If you are just using a gauge it is highly suspect, especially if you didn't see it change from a higher level.

I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry our posts overlapped -

Yes it can be the map. There is a youtube video that shows how to log.

Here

Okay I will log today afternoon,
    And also is it a good idea to try to disconnect the hose from the wastegate and tell if it will boost higher than 10lbs? I will use the Cobb ap to measure the boost and my boost gauge at the same time to not overboost

I Support ClubWRX
    No don't do that. I'm sure it will boost higher unless you have a major leak. If you do have a major leak, you will just be way overworking the turbo. You can't watch the AP all that well, and if you boost to far this will all be for not.

Also, what the AP tells you your boost is you can trust. If your gauge doesn't match up, it is the gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up. I guess I could have looked it up myself. You've further helped my laziness
    No problem! Did this ever get sorted out? I've been on night shift this week so I haven't been on at all. I know that there's something screwy, I test drove an 03 Evo with a few mods before i drove mine and it didn't have as much pull as my stock STi. That's what settled it for me. Scobby07, did you ever check on the AP to see what current map your running or send a datalog to anybody?
    Hawk-eye Alliance #156

No don't do that. I'm sure it will boost higher unless you have a major leak. If you do have a major leak, you will just be way overworking the turbo. You can't watch the AP all that well, and if you boost to far this will all be for not.

Also, what the AP tells you your boost is you can trust. If your gauge doesn't match up, it is the gauge.

but isnt that the point to check if it will boost higher? I read that if it boost higher then it is the boost control solenoid and thats a problem fix =)

Time

RPM (RPM)

Ignition Adv. ()

Learned Ign. ()

Boost (PSI)

Wastegate Duty (%)

MAF Voltage (V)

Fuel Trim (Long) (%)

not sure if this helps i got it from the data log

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	data.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	155.0 KB 
ID:	109096

here is the data log i got.
    anything wrong and why im not boosting stock??

the first data i manually wrote is wrong that was the previous owners and idk what that was for

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I'm not that familiar with AP logs, but from the looks of that there is something seriously wrong with your car, not the boost problem. Actually, it's a good thing it isn't reaching full boost because you might have already blown the engine if it was making full boost.

I would say the proper way to post a log would be via google docs, but if that was my car I wouldn't drive it again until I figured out what was wrong.

Disregarding the low boost, you are seeing some significant knock, and your DAM has dropped all the way to 1. Timing is pulled WAY back, and you're still knocking.. something is wrong.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.