The Type of octane to use?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 62

This is a discussion on The Type of octane to use? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i was reading through ome threads and guy said he need 85 oct to run his wr sti.. i run ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Newark/Hillside,New Jersey
    Posts
    141

    The Type of octane to use?

    i was reading through ome threads and guy said he need 85 oct to run his wr sti.. i run 93-95 what's the difference i thought the high the better unless i misunderstood. help if you can..thanks

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,852
    I Support ClubWRX
    You need 91+ fuel
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  4. #3
    OMG WTF MainFrame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    8,687
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    91 minimum, 93 is better.

  5. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Newark/Hillside,New Jersey
    Posts
    141
    would there be purpose to running a lower octane? isnt the higher octance better for your car in most areas?

  6. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Boca Raton, FL
    Posts
    172
    higher or lower octane is not better or worse, it's different. High octane fuel is hard to ignite. The key is to use the proper to slightly higher octane required for your engine.

  7. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Newark/Hillside,New Jersey
    Posts
    141
    i thought the higher octane is the greater power when ignated therefore better perfomance in the higher torque/hp area
    Quote Originally Posted by Mf645 View Post
    higher or lower octane is not better or worse, it's different. High octane fuel is hard to ignite. The key is to use the proper to slightly higher octane required for your engine.

  8. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Newark/Hillside,New Jersey
    Posts
    141
    ignited**

  9. #8
    OMG WTF MainFrame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    8,687
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The higher the better in turbo charged cars. The lower ignition point of lower octane fuel makes it much more prone to knock, which is probably the number one killer of these engines.

  10. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Newark/Hillside,New Jersey
    Posts
    141
    we wouldnt want that now would we
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    The higher the better in turbo charged cars. The lower ignition point of lower octane fuel makes it much more prone to knock, which is probably the number one killer of these engines.

  11. #10
    OMG WTF MainFrame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    8,687
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Pedrosa View Post
    i thought the higher octane is the greater power when ignated therefore better perfomance in the higher torque/hp area


    Nope.. but with the higher ignition point the car can be tuned more aggressively before it starts knocking. Increases in timing and boost made possible by running higher octane are what produce more power.




    It's also possible to run a leaner mixture with more knock resistant fuel, which also produces more power.

  12. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Newark/Hillside,New Jersey
    Posts
    141
    leaner mixture? such as racing fuel?
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Nope.. but with the higher ignition point the car can be tuned more aggressively before it starts knocking. Increases in timing and boost made possible by running higher octane are what produce more power.




    It's also possible to run a leaner mixture with more knock resistant fuel, which also produces more power.

  13. #12
    OMG WTF MainFrame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    8,687
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Pedrosa View Post
    leaner mixture? such as racing fuel?


    No, leaner AFR.. less fuel, more air. The leaner the mix the hotter the combustion temps get and the more power it makes.. until it knocks, or melts something.

  14. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Newark/Hillside,New Jersey
    Posts
    141
    what you mean by knock... like engines actually start knocking?
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    No, leaner AFR.. less fuel, more air. The leaner the mix the hotter the combustion temps get and the more power it makes.. until it knocks, or melts something.

  15. #14
    OMG WTF MainFrame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    8,687
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Pedrosa View Post
    what you mean by knock... like engines actually start knocking?


    Kind of. Knock is when the fuel mixture in the cylinder isn't igniting at the correct time. The factory knock sensor is basically a microphone installed in the block that listens for a particular frequency of sound associated with combustion. If the gasses in the chamber aren't combusting at the right time it can cause all kinds of damage.



    Engine knocking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  16. #15
    Registered User jeremydingeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bothell, WA
    Posts
    235
    Ill bet the guy was referring to using E85.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •