The Type of octane to use? - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

This is a discussion on The Type of octane to use? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I would certainly have a shop with a well proven track record build the block. There are lots of Subaru ...

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I would certainly have a shop with a well proven track record build the block. There are lots of Subaru specific quirks and such that your everyday mechanic won't know. As far as everything else (R&R engine, suspension & brake work), you could do it.

I my experience, your car will do plenty of sitting even if you have all the money up front. I've always paid for everything up front and I've only been able to drive my car for about six months in the last three years.. for example, this year I made a plan with my builder and paid for all the parts in April and scheduled an appointment to have the work done. I dropped my car off May 14th under the impression it would be ready three weeks later. Months went by, calling the shop every week, they were about to get started on it "next week". Finally in August I started calling multiple times a day, asking a lot of questions. Eventually I got word that they did not have the cams I ordered and apparently couldn't get them. Over the next week I called probably two dozen suppliers and shops across the country. I came to find out that my cams had been on extended back order since March 1st, and GSC doesn't expect to get their next shipment of blanks till the beginning of December. So even if you pay and schedule everything as well as you can, that doesn't mean your car isn't going to be sitting for several months at a time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i hate that .. i only take my car if ALL my parts have arrived so can be a drop off then picked up in a couple of weeks. but i don't think ill do everything in one shot though.. i might go little by little but towards the big project
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    I would certainly have a shop with a well proven track record build the block. There are lots of Subaru specific quirks and such that your everyday mechanic won't know. As far as everything else (R&R engine, suspension & brake work), you could do it.

I my experience, your car will do plenty of sitting even if you have all the money up front. I've always paid for everything up front and I've only been able to drive my car for about six months in the last three years.. for example, this year I made a plan with my builder and paid for all the parts in April and scheduled an appointment to have the work done. I dropped my car off May 14th under the impression it would be ready three weeks later. Months went by, calling the shop every week, they were about to get started on it "next week". Finally in August I started calling multiple times a day, asking a lot of questions. Eventually I got word that they did not have the cams I ordered and apparently couldn't get them. Over the next week I called probably two dozen suppliers and shops across the country. I came to find out that my cams had been on extended back order since March 1st, and GSC doesn't expect to get their next shipment of blanks till the beginning of December. So even if you pay and schedule everything as well as you can, that doesn't mean your car isn't going to be sitting for several months at a time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.