HELP! Sounds like plastic bottles rubbing?...

This is a discussion on HELP! Sounds like plastic bottles rubbing?... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Have you ever bought a 24pack bottled water and put it on your trunk? Do you know the sound when ...

Have you ever bought a 24pack bottled water and put it on your trunk? Do you know the sound when you hit a bump and the plastic bottles rub in that tight packaging?

... Well I hear that sound and it seems to some from the back. The problem is, my car is completely empty, no water bottles. It sounds like it is coming from my trunk. And the more I try to listen, it seems like it's coming from/around the shifter?

I have a 12 WRX hatch/wagon and I started to hear it this morning. I just got my oil change and it currently as 13,000+ miles. I hear the noise when I switch gear quickly and gas quickly. When I switch gear slowly and gas slowly, you don't hear it. When you go through really rough roads, you can kinda hear it however I'm already in gear, no switching.

Anyone else has this problem? Is it normal? Should I be worried?

Car is completely stock.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yeah, it is the plastic piece on top of your spare that your jack sits in.

Thanks... So I'm assuming this is a common sound then? Is there a fix for it? A towel between the spare and the plastic?

Tighten it if it's not already, or just remove it if it bothers you that much too.
    Worst case scenario maybe it could just be the springs if it's cold out I guess.

I'm thinking putting a cloth between them might stop the rubbing. I usually just ignore mine. I've driven mostly Pontiac so interior noise just doesn't seem to bother me anymore lol.

Alright... Thanks guys...