Got an oil change and now I get lower gas mileage...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Got an oil change and now I get lower gas mileage... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I noticed this almost immediately after my oil change, I was hoping that it would go back, but after a ...

I noticed this almost immediately after my oil change, I was hoping that it would go back, but after a few weeks it's still the same. I was getting around 26.5 mpg before I got my oil change and now I'm down to around 24, sometimes lower... Could they have done something wrong? Put the wrong oil in? It's kinda frustrating that I'm not getting the mileage I was before, sometimes it was as high as 30 mpg for a stretch of road and now I never get over 27.
    2012 WRB WRX Sedan ...
    BPanda Build
    ...On order since 5/14/2012
    ...Picked up on 6/29/2012

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BPanda View Post
    I noticed this almost immediately after my oil change, I was hoping that it would go back, but after a few weeks it's still the same. I was getting around 26.5 mpg before I got my oil change and now I'm down to around 24, sometimes lower... Could they have done something wrong? Put the wrong oil in? It's kinda frustrating that I'm not getting the mileage I was before, sometimes it was as high as 30 mpg for a stretch of road and now I never get over 27.
    A more viscous oil would in theory affect consumption, but only slightly. The short answer, my best guess, is "no."

Check the oil level just in case and don't worry about it. Either your habits or the fuel have changed.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    30 mpg? I have 2 cars & on both of them I don't get anywhere over 24mpg overall on the car comp & 22mpg overall on paper.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Put the oil in wrong? I LOL'd at that one...

For a car that isn't supposed to do better than 24-25mpg anyway...be happy you DO get that.

I don't do better than 17 or so, so I don't wanna hear it!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Oh gosh Panda.. You walked into that one.

How can you put the oil in wrong?

I get in the mid 20's driving around town (stop and go).

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Put the oil in wrong? I LOL'd at that one...
    For a car that isn't supposed to do better than 24-25mpg anyway...be happy you DO get that.
    I don't do better than 17 or so, so I don't wanna hear it!
    Quote Originally Posted by 96accord View Post
    Oh gosh Panda.. You walked into that one.
    How can you put the oil in wrong?
    I get in the mid 20's driving around town (stop and go).

Moron, think about it for a second instead of just opening your trap immediately. Obviously you can only put the oil in one way, but I have had dealerships put too much oil in my car, put the wrong oil in my car, not put enough in my car, which would be "putting it in wrong" don't you think? I'm not an idiot, think before you respond.
    Also, I haven't changed my driving habits and I still put 93 octane in the car because that's the premium in my area.
    2012 WRB WRX Sedan ...
    BPanda Build

maybe the oil is to heavy? easy way to see is see of you oil pressure is higher

I Support ClubWRX

Personal insults not allowed.

I doubt viscosity is the issue.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah... good luck to you getting help in the future with an attitude like that.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Moron, think about it for a second instead of just opening your trap immediately..
    Okay. Maybe those weren't very elegant replies. But your reaction was really uncalled for. We are here to help. Its all in good humor.

Calling someone Moron is uncalled for, especially coming from an educator.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Can't stand these people who think they're so bad online who attack everything because they can't think past a single sentence or to think that it might just mean something else.
    How was anything either accord or mikie said helpful to what I wrote? It was a quick attack and nothing else so don't go after just me for my response. If you're going to instantly interpret the sentence without any thought and just think I'm an idiot right away, I don't accept that in any way.
    I was just asking a simple question, I've worked on plenty of cars before, have had many different ones before with many different engines, and have never seen such a drastic drop in mpg so quickly.
    2012 WRB WRX Sedan ...
    BPanda Build

Maybe you got some "contaminated" gas, try a bit longer, after filling up again. I don't believe that a different oil would make a real difference in MpG's. I believe differences in brand/viscosity/synth-regular are minute and not easily noticed. The differences between different oils are more in terms of longevity, stability, protection in extreme temps, etc.
    BTW I've worked for many years in a shop building large emergency generator sets, like what they put in hospitals. Once we had a machine that when made ready for testrun had motor oil coming out the radiator overflow. Turned out the plumbing with the water heater got connected to oil lines. What a mess. But it's possible for things to go wrong. Obviously should have no relation to you car, though.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Can't stand these people who think they're so bad online who attack everything because they can't think past a single sentence or to think that it might just mean something else.
    How was anything either accord or mikie said helpful to what I wrote? It was a quick attack and nothing else so don't go after just me for my response. If you're going to instantly interpret the sentence without any thought and just think I'm an idiot right away, I don't accept that in any way.
    I was just asking a simple question, I've worked on plenty of cars before, have had many different ones before with many different engines, and have never seen such a drastic drop in mpg so quickly.
    Somebody needs to grow some thicker skin, or at least learn how to accept comments made in jest and move on. There is no attack in this thread except from you.

This is actually a non-issue. You still get better mileage than is even estimated for your vehicle. It's something that could easily be explained by a bad tank of gas, which happens more often than you might think. Having owned "many different [vehicles] with many different engines" you should probably know that by now.

Lighten up a little bit, learn to laugh, you'll live longer.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Once again. It is all in good humor. Lighten up man. Don't be so serious . Nobody here is making fun of you. They were just stating the obvious. Maybe in a crude manner,but this is a car forum.

What if I were to apologize on their behalf. Everyone hates Mikie anyway
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

I Support ClubWRX
    What was the ethanol content of the gas before vs after? The difference between E10 and E0 can easily account for the few MPG difference. Most pumps here say "Contains up to 10% ethanol", but without an ECA, you have no way of knowing...

Check your oil level. If it looks fine, don't worry about it. If you're at all concerned, keep checking your oil at every fillup (you should do this anyway), and DIY change in the future if you're worried about oil being put in wrong.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.