Got an oil change and now I get lower gas mileage... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Got an oil change and now I get lower gas mileage... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; They are switching to winter gas. Everyone's mileage will suffer....

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    They are switching to winter gas. Everyone's mileage will suffer.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Bada bing.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Alternately, you could try to monitor your fuel usage in a different manner; I can't get reliable numbers by using the trip meter and the gas pump number, even when I let the pump turn itself off (I thought that this would give a same-fill level baseline) the computed number varies between 22-28 mpg per tank (in spite of similar driving path and habits). When I monitor, over a long time, my total gallons purchased and total miles driven and plot in excel, the slope fits with a 99% R squared to 26 mpg. I think that this method helps me to reduce calculation error from differing fuel fill amounts and other factors.

edit: also, in spite of the common knowledge about winter fuel, my plot's slope didn't appreciably change from summer to winter.. I'll have to watch the plot again this winter when I will drive a lot more to see if this holds true again.
    David - '05 WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Obeisance View Post
    Alternately, you could try to monitor your fuel usage in a different manner; I can't get reliable numbers by using the trip meter and the gas pump number, even when I let the pump turn itself off (I thought that this would give a same-fill level baseline) the computed number varies between 22-28 mpg per tank (in spite of similar driving path and habits). When I monitor, over a long time, my total gallons purchased and total miles driven and plot in excel, the slope fits with a 99% R squared to 26 mpg. I think that this method helps me to reduce calculation error from differing fuel fill amounts and other factors.

edit: also, in spite of the common knowledge about winter fuel, my plot's slope didn't appreciably change from summer to winter.. I'll have to watch the plot again this winter when I will drive a lot more to see if this holds true again.
    I like the idea of a long term average.

Here the scoop on stats though - your slope doesn't fit to a point, it fits to all the data. I.e. you R2 tells you how well it fits all the data, not what the average is of all that.

You would need to put each fill, or each week etc. as a separate observation in an anova style analysis. Use summer and winter as the factor. Then you would be comparing the summer average vs. the winter average based on sample size and distribution, and the P value would tell if there was a significant difference.

Quote Originally Posted by BPanda View Post
    Moron, think about it for a second instead of just opening your trap immediately. Obviously you can only put the oil in one way, but I have had dealerships put too much oil in my car, put the wrong oil in my car, not put enough in my car, which would be "putting it in wrong" don't you think? I'm not an idiot, think before you respond.
    Also, I haven't changed my driving habits and I still put 93 octane in the car because that's the premium in my area.
    Explain yourself better next time before jumping to conclusions. Not putting enough in, is not putting enough in. If they didn't put enough in, they would have not put enough in, through the oil fill hole, correctly. If you're going to post on a public internet forum, I'm going to open my trap all I want. If you can't handle what was actually a legitimate comment that actually did make me laugh, then go to Nasioc or some other place. Nothing in my post was posted in a negative way (ergo the sarcastic little ). Get some thicker skin homeboy.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

not sure if its true or not but ive heard that the colder weather brings less mpg. havent noticed a change in mine. i got 25 the other day

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    not sure if its true or not but ive heard that the colder weather brings less mpg. havent noticed a change in mine. i got 25 the other day
    Can also be very true. Air is colder, ergo it is more dense. Therefore you need to compensate with more fuel (also why you feel your turbo kick in a little better in cold air...further compressing already dense air, so more of it to go boom in the cylinders).
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Let's stay on track please.

a few things in my opinion could affect your mpg. how much highway driving youre doing, are you behind bigger trucks to cut air resistance, too much oil, not enough, are you mixing gas
    things like this have affected mine. directly after a fill up on my way to work ill get up to 30, maybe more but its because i drive carefully, and usually beind someone the whole time. then as the week progresses ill watdh it drop.
    its not anything to worry about i dont think

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Can also be very true. Air is colder, ergo it is more dense. Therefore you need to compensate with more fuel (also why you feel your turbo kick in a little better in cold air...further compressing already dense air, so more of it to go boom in the cylinders).
    alright enough with all these science words!

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    theres winter gas? what is that? ive never heard of anything like that before. i thought gas was just gas

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    m not

its true...i think at least. all your fluids are getting colder and more viscous...
    im not a science major, so i dont even know if i worded that right

I Support ClubWRX
    My experience has always been that my turbocharged cars suddenly feel faster, as well as get lesser fuel mileage, once temps turn chilly. It's true because science.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

lol minus the harder shifting

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    It's likely the colder temperatures. A car's motor performance increases in the cold, but the fuel economy typically decreases.

Furthermore, the car stays in cold-start-enrichment for a longer stretch of time (before reaching operating temperature). This means more fuel is injected over the base fuel map -- the effect is similar to "Choke" for all you old guys
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast