Radiator Help needed ASAP!

This is a discussion on Radiator Help needed ASAP! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; As you can tell by my name I am somewhat new to the Subaru Scene. I have been around the ...

Radiator Help needed ASAP!

As you can tell by my name I am somewhat new to the Subaru Scene. I have been around the WRX scene for 3-4 years and owned one myself for 2 years now.

Recently my radiator started leaking along the whole top part of the radiator. It is a leak caused under pressure I believe. It has progressively gotten worse as I have been trying to save up to buy a new radiator. I have recently moved states so my money has been tight, but I am now ready to purchase my radiator.

I don't know if it is just my lack of skills in online researching, but I have tried and tried to find a good fitting radiator for my car and everytime I search I seem to find different parts numbers and all sorts of stuff that is confusing me. So here are my specs and I would GREATLY appreciate it if anyone could supply me with some kind of help or point me in the right direction!

Year: 2004
    Make: Subaru
    Model: Impreza WRX
    Engine: 2.0L Turbo
    Transmission: 5 speed
    Mileage : 112,000

No aftermarket upgrades directly linked to the radiators function other than I have no idea if the 2004 WRX comes equipped with an EOC?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Contact one of the site vendors directly for an aftermarket solution.

What is an EOC?

Koyo makes an Al "race" rad as well as an OEM plastic-end-tanks rad; call them and ask for a part number if you do not like the answers from the site vendors or simply prefer something else.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Engine Oil Cooler is what I was meaning by EOC. Ok, I will do. I appreciate the response.

I Support ClubWRX
    OK. All WRXs come equipped with an EOC. It is the round piece to which the oil filter screws. In addition, there is provision for a secondary, larger EOC that uses external lines and is mounted to the nose of the car.

Neither EOC has anything to do with the radiator, although the stock round EOC does use the cooling system.

Now, something to consider: if you buy an OEM replacement radiator, it may have a transmission fluid cooler. This is useless on 5 spd cars, and can be ignored. If you buy a "race" style Al rad it won't have the transmission fluid cooler. This means if you do the latter and have a 5 spd, well there's nothing to ignore, you go about life; but if you have an automatic, you will need to source an additional external transmission oil cooler as the "race" Al rad won't have one. This is not the case for you, since you have a 5 spd; you won't care either way.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Unfortunately the cracked radiator is a common problem in 02-05 WRXs

I agree with SD_GR. Get a koyo or mishimoto... But know that the fans will have to be modified to work with them. And you may have to purchase aftermarket hoses.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    All that matters at this point is if you have an automatic or manual transmission. Pretty much any radiator from a 02-05 WRX will work.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Unfortunately the cracked radiator is a common problem in 02-05 WRXs

I agree with SD_GR. Get a koyo or mishimoto... But know that the fans will have to be modified to work with them. And you may have to purchase aftermarket hoses.
    So, I will need to replace the fan to work with the "Koyo" rad I want to purchase? The hoses should be no big deal. Buying a new fan, on the other hand, could be a bit pricey.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX Newbie View Post
    So, I will need to replace the fan to work with the "Koyo" rad I want to purchase? The hoses should be no big deal. Buying a new fan, on the other hand, could be a bit pricey.
    I have the all aluminum Koyo - very nice piece. All I had to do was to trim about a 1/4" off of the upper radiator hose. The core is twice a thick as OEM.

My thread from radiator replacement time - useful info in here: 2004 OEM radiator is failing. How long do I have to replace?
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 10-09-2012 at 02:33 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Re: Radiator Help needed ASAP!

Make sure you replace the top and lower radiator hose and if you still have the wire like clamps on, change those to the band type clamps. Personal experience.

Posted from a fone.

Ok, I have taken the radiator out of my WRX and left the fans attached for now. I have ordered an Aluminum KOYO OE Radiator and now the waiting game has started. Hoping the installation goes as smooth as taking it out.

Re: Radiator Help needed ASAP!

Shouldn't give you much trouble, remember to fully burp the system!
    Have fun!

Posted from a fone.