'06 Limited Misfire CEL
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on '06 Limited Misfire CEL within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey Guys, I have read some of the other misfire code issues. Seemed like either new coil packs or having ...

'06 Limited Misfire CEL

Hey Guys,
    I have read some of the other misfire code issues. Seemed like either new coil packs or having the ecu flashed fixed the issues. Here is my situation:
    2006 WRX Limited with 146,000 miles.
    Just in the last 6-8 months I have been having an on and off CEL problem. Originally it would throw a "Bank 1 Too Lean" about once a month. I could reset it with no issues, no rough idle, nothing. Just in the last month the car has been running great, just replaced the original clutch and now all of a sudden I am getting misfire codes. It will run great then stutter a little and throw 0301,0302,0303, and 0304. Once the CEL is on the car runs fine. As soon as I reset the codes and start driving it will die whenever I roll up to a stop sign and press in the clutch, just die out. I start it back up and it will stay on for the next stop sign but maybe the one after that it will die again when I press the clutch in. It will keep doing this maybe 10-15 times and then run fine without any CEL. Then within about 30-60 minutes of driving it will throw the misfire codes. This last time it only threw 0301,0302,and 0304.

Maintenance & Info:
    Oil every 4k
    Short Ram AEM with K&N Cleaned every 4k
    Iridium plugs gapped to .030 done yesterday- Old plugs did have a little bit of white build up.
    Cleaned MAF
    Clutch 5k ago
    rear 02 sensor & T-Belt at 105k
    front 02 sensor at 70k
    I also haven't ran any exhaust from the cat back since 98k, I dont think this would be involved but you never know.

Thanks for the help, California Smog is due next month and you know they don't like those orange lights..

Heath

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    new clutch.. flywheel?

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Yes both were replaced.

I Support ClubWRX
    OEM?

Yessir, EXEDY FJK1001FW kit.

I Support ClubWRX
    Crank shaft position sensor?

I have never touched it. What might you be suggesting? Replacement? It does run fine once the CEL comes back on.
    Last edited by subiwrx; 10-05-2012 at 11:38 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you have a friend with the same model car? Maybe swap and try to see if his gets a light or not.

I do have a friend with an 07. What do you think is wrong? I have yet to play with CSPS

I Support ClubWRX
    Id suggest doing a compression and leak down test, maybe find out if there is some ways to test the csps

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    Id suggest doing a compression and leak down test, maybe find out if there is some ways to test the csps
    I will to a compression test. The leakdown is a test of the vacuum system?

I Support ClubWRX
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Ok so heres an update. I ended up taking it to my local shop. They found that all of my exhaust valves tolerances were off. They changed the "valve buckets" on the exhaust side, and replaced the MAF O-ring. Got it back and it drove great! Better than it has in a while. But all good things eventually come to an end. not even 50 miles later the car threw the p0171 system to lean (bank 1). I reset it and not even 15 miles later it came back with a couple cylinder misfire. I am still chipping away at the "misfire list" and have an appt to take it back to the shop on Monday. But any further input would be helpful. This is getting pretty old.

I Support ClubWRX

'06 Limited Misfire CEL

Swap MAF sensors with a friend. I am not convinced the issue isn't simpler than one might fear.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

ok I am scheduling a meeting with a close friend to swap MAF's in the next week or so. Since my last misfire codes I D/C'd the battery and let it sit. Drove it a bit it ran great minus stalling while the clutch was in and I was turning (into a parking space). I saw the CEL flash 2 or 3 times and then it started running just like a left the shop. within 20 miles it threw the p0171 like before. And here I sit.

Side Note:
    I was dinking around under the hood tracing hoses and such and found something I felt was out of place. Bear with me here, There are two black metal pipes that run right in front of the intercooler, at each end it is connected to what looks like the valve cover. On the passenger side it splits off and runs to the air intake I believe. Well on the passenger side were the from the valve cover meets the metal tubing there is what looks like a mayonaisey substance. There is only enough to be on that one side and it has not expanded to the other side or the split that goes to the intake.
    I have had a bad head gasket before so I am familiar with what the water oil mix looks like. THIS IS NOT ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE MOTOR THAT I CAN FIND. MY DIPSTICK IS CLEAN. Like I said its a pretty small amount and doesn't look like enough to clog the pipe but definately limit the amount of air that can move.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.