Idle surge and no acceleration in boost - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Idle surge and no acceleration in boost within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Yes, no codes when I scan it with the COBB AP. I haven't tried a normal scanner though. I'm going ...

Yes, no codes when I scan it with the COBB AP. I haven't tried a normal scanner though. I'm going to try the fuel filter tonight. I know it's one of the things that havent been checked yet.

I doused every vacuum line, every coupling, I'm talking everything with carb cleaner, and noticed no real change in idle, even though it was idle surging the whole time anyways. If it is a vacuum leak, it has to be one hell of a leak. I havent checked the gauge pod line but I would think being inside the car, you would hear it leaking but I'll check it anyways.

In the meantime, will try and find a way to datalog it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Alright. I can log with rom raider. I really don't want to drive it, I barely got home last time over the hill hah. Are there options I can check off to look at during the oscillating idle that may show what sensor, etc is causing the problem?

Ran learning view and got a list of no memorized CELS but a nice sized list of temp DTCs

DTC TEMPORARY: P0500 VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR A
    DTC TEMPORARY: P1591 NEUTRAL POS. SWITCH LOW INPUT (AT)
    DTC TEMPORARY: P0480 RADIATOR FAN RELAY 1 LOW
    DTC TEMPORARY: P0136 REAR O2 SENSOR CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION
    DTC TEMPORARY: P1230 FUEL PUMP CONTROL UNIT MALFUNCTION
    DTC TEMPORARY: P0131 FRONT O2 SENSOR LOW INPUT
    DTC TEMPORARY: P0132 FRONT O2 SENSOR HIGH INPUT
    DTC TEMPORARY: P0037 REAR O2 SENSOR LOW INPUT
    DTC TEMPORARY: P0245 WASTEGATE SOLENOID A LOW
    DTC TEMPORARY: P1096 TGV SIGNAL 2 (OPEN)

I have a rear O2 fix in (I'm guessing maybe thats what the p0037 is for?
    TGV signal 2 (open) has me wondering if this could be why the car won't boost and idles like ****... What TGV sensor would it be anyways pass or driver?

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sheesh.

Just to hazard a guess, if all that stuff crapped out at once, maybe a major connection in the harness got loose.

I'm wondering how you get a high and low input cel for the front O2 for example.

I'm almost wondering if the ECU bricked.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Its swapped. Its actually an RS. But 03 motor and ecu. So a lot of the bits like speed sensor and such are i guess typical with swaps. Tgv an O2 codes are odd. It has a cel "fix" for the rear O2 since it is catless(exhaust and uppipe)

I Support ClubWRX
    Oh. That is a whole different ball game.

The front O2 and most likely the TGV should not be throwing those CELs as a solid assumption. The TGV issue would be involved in the idle issue likely, and generally running like crap, and the O2 would be more running like crap on top of that as your A/F is probably whacked. The front O2 is known to have a limited lifespan (~120K). The rear O2 is just a catalyst checkpoint - if the cel fix was working there should be no cel there. Also I thought Cobb disabled the common rear O2 CEL the fix is for, but the "malfunction" part makes me think that may be a different code.

From what I read, COBB didn't remove that rear O2 code. At least in earlier revisions. I'm 1.xx something.

I'll go get a new TPS sensor and try replacing the TGV that is easiest to get to. OR swap it for my TPS sensor, just to see if it clears that code up.

I Support ClubWRX
    Be sure you deal with the front o2 code too.

So. Replaced my TGV sensor last night. Reset ecu and ran learning view again. Same code came up. Well I looked and somehow or another the sensor near the firewall was unplugged. So I plug it in. Bam code gone. NOW p1092 comes up. Which is TGV valve stuck open. looked into manualy moving it to see if it would. Stuck solid in the horizontal position. Freed it up and worked it back and forth and it finally started moving with no effort. Put the new sensor back on (making sure to preload it) and thats as far as I got. It said stuck open but if the tab on the ends is in a horizontal position, doesn't that mean the TGV is closed??

NEW ECU... no difference

Stupid question. But aren't a lot of my codes the same as what you get if the car is in test mode?
    The fans and fuel pump would cycle in test mode, HOWEVER my fuel pump is hard wire and my fans are on switches. CEL light on the dash is most likely not working. Seems far fetch but my A14 orange wire could be grounding somewhere in the spaghetti wiring. Best way to bypass it? I'd rather just run a whole new wire than take apart that mess (ghetto, but if it work, I can deal with that)

Down to 3 codes and out of test mode now. Not as much surging idle but im still getting fuel cut at 3-4 psi. Waiting on my new fuel pump install kit to get here and ill put the new walbro in.
    Last edited by 555*; 10-22-2012 at 05:51 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Glad to hear you are making some progress.

Sucksess!

It was the fuel pump. It had some nigerian pos pump in it anyways. The new walbro 255 is about 8 times louder. No issue gettting into boost at all now hah. Getting it pro tuned asap.

I Support ClubWRX
    Awesome - it must be a big relief to get that all straightened out.

Oh yeah haha.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12