Need help with headlights
Results 1 to 9 of 9

This is a discussion on Need help with headlights within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi guys, So I just bought a 2002 WRX recently, and I am new here. I need some help with ...

  1. #1
    Registered User domokun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    14

    Need help with headlights

    Hi guys,

    So I just bought a 2002 WRX recently, and I am new here. I need some help with some headlight issues.

    So here are the symptoms:

    1. Headlights stays on even when switched off.
    2. headlights gets a little brighter when switched is turned on
    3. Headlights turn off when e-brake is on.
    4. Fog lights is never on.
    5. Headlights will not turn on when switched on while car engine is off and key is in ignition.

    Not sure what's going on here, as i am very new to WRX. I read up some stuff and it may be a bypass thing that the previous owner may have done? If so, how can i correct it?

    Any help would be wonderful, please, please, please.. thank you!!




    -jason
    Last edited by domokun; 10-03-2012 at 08:17 PM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Eh, whaaaaa?
    Posts
    3,855
    I Support ClubWRX
    All sounds like normal DRL behavior to me. Addressing #3, if you switch the headlights on with the switch and pull up the e-brake they should not turn off. But if the switch is turned to off and they go off when you pull up the e-brake, your DRL's are working as they should.

    The only thing that seems off is the fog lights, but those turn on when you push the button to the left of the steering wheel (assuming these are factory installed).
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

    Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

  4. #3
    Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Late Devonian
    Posts
    13,133
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yup, exactly.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

  5. #4
    \_(ツ)_/ Rambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Denial
    Posts
    4,927
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    All sounds like normal DRL behavior to me.
    +1. This is exactly what the daytime running lights are supposed to do. I can confirm my 2003 wrx works exactly the same. The other thing that trips people up is the parking light switch on top of the steering column. That will light up the small extra bulbs on the outside edge of the headlights, and the rear taillights. It should be off most of the time, but can be turned on at any point, even with the key out.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

    The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

  6. #5
    Registered User domokun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    All sounds like normal DRL behavior to me. Addressing #3, if you switch the headlights on with the switch and pull up the e-brake they should not turn off. But if the switch is turned to off and they go off when you pull up the e-brake, your DRL's are working as they should.

    The only thing that seems off is the fog lights, but those turn on when you push the button to the left of the steering wheel (assuming these are factory installed).
    Ahhh, thank you so much, I did a research on DRL, and it makes sense now. I had no idea what that was. So I guess I'll be disabling the DLR, because I dont like it being on 24/7 when the car is running. Also, the button to the left turns on the fog lights. Man, I feel like a newb. My first WRX, thanks for the info!!!!!!! =)

  7. #6
    \_(ツ)_/ Rambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Denial
    Posts
    4,927
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by domokun View Post
    So I guess I'll be disabling the DLR, because I dont like it being on 24/7 when the car is running.
    Any reason why? If you're worried about bulb light, don't. I used Philips Extreme-vision bulbs (which focus more on output than bulb life), and they lasted for years with the DRLs always on.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

    The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

  8. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3

    Need help with headlights

    Quote Originally Posted by domokun View Post
    Ahhh, thank you so much, I did a research on DRL, and it makes sense now. I had no idea what that was. So I guess I'll be disabling the DLR, because I dont like it being on 24/7 when the car is running. Also, the button to the left turns on the fog lights. Man, I feel like a newb. My first WRX, thanks for the info!!!!!!! =)
    Daytime running lights are a safety feature and cost nothing in terms of performance. They've been proven to reduce accidents by making you visible to others. They are not intended to enable you to see, but to enable others to see you. I'm not sure about the laws governing mandatory safety equipment where you live, but it's illegal to disable any safety equipment in Ontario. My advice would be to leave them alone. The only time they're on is when you're driving, and you can't see them from the driver's seat.

  9. #8
    Registered User domokun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Boarderbiker View Post
    Daytime running lights are a safety feature and cost nothing in terms of performance. They've been proven to reduce accidents by making you visible to others. They are not intended to enable you to see, but to enable others to see you. I'm not sure about the laws governing mandatory safety equipment where you live, but it's illegal to disable any safety equipment in Ontario. My advice would be to leave them alone. The only time they're on is when you're driving, and you can't see them from the driver's seat.
    thanks for the advice and suggestion everyone, since they wont affect performance, Ill just leave them alone.

  10. #9
    Registered User domokun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    14
    Btw, wrx's are so cool, where have i been????!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •