Idling Questions/Need Help!

This is a discussion on Idling Questions/Need Help! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello fellow Subie owners. I recently purchased a 2013 Aspen White Wrx Hatchback. I had some questions to ask so ...

Hello fellow Subie owners. I recently purchased a 2013 Aspen White Wrx Hatchback. I had some questions to ask so I thought I could ask you guys. Now, I know I should do a little research before posting but I tried and I could not find any answers. Keep in mind that I am a total NOOB when It comes to Subaru's so please be a little courteous. With that said I wont waste your time and get on with my story.

I purchased the car with 20 miles off the lot. Drove about 100 miles and the car gave check engine due to me mis-shifting and hitting the Red-line. Came back home, turned the car off and after 20 minutes turned on the car and the check engine was gone, but I was worried so I took the car to the dealer and they tested and told me it was just a "Glitch in the camshaft". Since then I drove the car with no problem(s) and now it has 750 miles. Today in the morning my father sat in the car and noticed that my car was idling funny. *NOTE* I will try to explain it the best I can. The car idles where it supposed to be which is around 700-800 I GUESS. But then there is a slight little jump which is barely noticeable. This happens even when the car is fully warm. So what do you guys think? Any suspicious computer problems? Any idea(s)? Or maybe I am over reacting.

I tried to explain to my father that the idling had to do with the turbo but who am I kidding, I have no knowledge about turbos and how they work. So maybe you guys could calm me down a little since I am VERY protective about my car. SORRY For my bad grammar and punctuation. Thank you for taking the time to read my post. Your help is greatly appreciated. By the way, Please let me know If I posted this thread in the right section.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

You may be describing something normal for boxer motors.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Any concerns with a brand new car should be addressed by the dealership, that is why the car comes with a warranty.

The car will bump the idle up a bit if the fans kick on, or if you're running the A/C (whether intentionally or because you have the climate control set to defrost); which would explain the small jump every once in a while. So, when the idle changes on you, see if you can hear the fans kicking on. If not, go back to the dealership and have them look into it.

The turbocharger CAN technically affect the idle, but only if there is something very wrong.

With regards to your grammar and punctuation usage, you're a godsend compared to some of the users we see here.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Thank you sir for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Any concerns with a brand new car should be addressed by the dealership, that is why the car comes with a warranty.

The car will bump the idle up a bit if the fans kick on, or if you're running the A/C (whether intentionally or because you have the climate control set to defrost); which would explain the small jump every once in a while. So, when the idle changes on you, see if you can hear the fans kicking on. If not, go back to the dealership and have them look into it.

The turbocharger CAN technically affect the idle, but only if there is something very wrong.

With regards to your grammar and punctuation usage, you're a godsend compared to some of the users we see here.

That is true but I do not want to take my car to the dealer every time. I will sound annoying and they will hate me since I take my car in for every little single thing. So what your are telling me is that what I explained sounds normal? I never turn on the ac or anything while the car is idling, only when I am driving. Also, thank you for your respond.

I love the redline pulls with 20 miles on the clock...might wanna take it easy and do some research. I learned the hard way with my 1st WRX. Sometimes small mistakes can cost a lot of money. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by subaken View Post
    I love the redline pulls with 20 miles on the clock...might wanna take it easy and do some research. I learned the hard way with my 1st WRX. Sometimes small mistakes can cost a lot of money. Enjoy.
    I think he meant that he missed a shift and accidently redlined it, not that he did a pull.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    I think he meant that he missed a shift and accidently redlined it, not that he did a pull.
    Thank you for your correction XD but it still does not answer my question about the idling. Thank you for reading though.

I think we might need more info. This slight jump, is it something you just feel or do you see the tachometer needle move? If so, how much?

You said you don't "turn on" the a/c while idling, only while moving. If the a/c is already on though, the compressor cycles so even if you aren't literally turning it on at idle, it can still impact the rpms.

I'll try to pay attention to my idle this morning and see if I notice any idle fluctuation. It might help if you could take a video.
    - Will

I think we might need more info. This slight jump, is it something you just feel or do you see the tachometer needle move? If so, how much?

You said you don't "turn on" the a/c while idling, only while moving. If the a/c is already on though, the compressor cycles so even if you aren't literally turning it on at idle, it can still impact the rpms.

I'll try to pay attention to my idle this morning and see if I notice any idle fluctuation. It might help if you could take a video.
    - Will

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd put money on the A/C or defroster kicking on. Mine gets cranky about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro