My Oil Analysis Reports from Blackstone Over 20k / 1.5 Years

This is a discussion on My Oil Analysis Reports from Blackstone Over 20k / 1.5 Years within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Thought I'd upload the UOAs I've gotten from Blackstone. The first 15k I ran on Mobil1 as recommended. The last ...

I Support ClubWRX

My Oil Analysis Reports from Blackstone Over 20k / 1.5 Years

Thought I'd upload the UOAs I've gotten from Blackstone. The first 15k I ran on Mobil1 as recommended. The last 5k I've run on Rotella T6. As a note, I told them I was concerned about my ring lands around 15k, and I warned them that I had two track days on the 20k change out. Hoping things improve without the track time on this oil change.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    My motor and several others about which I have read showed higher wear numbers even as far "out" as 20K so yours is I'd say expected to show some metals. It's probably not settled in yet.

I'd say shorten your intervals only if you do track days. Maybe develop a "formula" where you count a track day as 1K for your interval or something like that to guesstimate. Otherwise I'd not worry.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    My motor and several others about which I have read showed higher wear numbers even as far "out" as 20K so yours is I'd say expected to show some metals. It's probably not settled in yet.

I'd say shorten your intervals only if you do track days. Maybe develop a "formula" where you count a track day as 1K for your interval or something like that to guesstimate. Otherwise I'd not worry.
    Considering I've used it to both learn to drive a stick on... do an oil change on... and did most of the tuning myself... I'm pretty happy the thing is still running.

Not too concerned as is, but it'd be nice to see the levels flatten out a bit more without the track days. We'll see. Either way, I normally keep a cash stock pile to get me through worst case scenario.

Always have to take UOAs for what they are. Without them, you may never know what's wrong with your engine. With them, you may know something is wrong with your engine. Either way... The world keeps spinning.

The main reason I wanted to share was to point out that Rotella and Mobil1 both seem to be on the same level. Neither one has shown poor or unicorn-level performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    I agree about Rotella and M1. I use them interchangeably. I buy whichever is either available or on sale, or both etc.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I have a sample I took at 60K mi.. I'd like to take another at this next oil change (93750+/-) and send them both in to have them checked back to back. My car see's a lot of highway mileage and spirited use but no track days or autoX. Very curious to see what they'd say.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!