Headlight Advice Please
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Headlight Advice Please within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi everyone. I was on here earlier today asking for some advice with my burned out aftermarket HID lights. I ...

Headlight Advice Please

Hi everyone. I was on here earlier today asking for some advice with my burned out aftermarket HID lights.

I bought my car used and someone did a very tacky ricer job of a headlight modification. One of them burned out recently and I'd like to go back to the stock H7s so people will quit getting angry at my HID in halogen projector setup. My knowledge of headlights and how they work is about zero, so I took some photos and will upload them to get advice from hopefully someone who knows more than I do.

I'm hoping I can just go to the part store, pick up a set of H7's, plug them in and be on my way. Tell me if you believe I need any additional parts or if my setup is so messed up that I would be better off having a professional do it for me, thanks!

The first photo is a picture of what I believe where the stock parts end and the made-in-BFE-by-chimpanzees HID kit begins. The green part is part of my WRX. The rest of this is the HID kit I inherited.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	headlight1.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	108526

The second photo is a picture of the complete system. The wires run from inside the headlight housing outside of it and into the ballast, from the ballast it runs back into the headlight housing and into the HID bulb. I'm not sure if the bulb or the light is burned out, I will probably check this soon. Any input would be appreciated!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	headlight2.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	108527

This is my first time uploading photos to this website, so hopefully it works...
    2010 Subaru WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    What is the name on the box there? It'd be much easier to figure out how to undo it, if we can see how they did it by finding the install instructions from the kit.

People these days....
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Thanks for the reply, Professor Farnsworth!

It's a Xentec kit.
    2010 Subaru WRX

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    News everyone!

I'm fairly certain that green connector is the stock connector to plug into the bulb. So, that may be a plug and play kit (except where everything is hooked up to the battery). From the looks of it, you can take all of that crap out, plug the stock connector up to an H11 bulb, put it into the housing and call it a day. However, I would recommend (before taking everything apart), plugging a bulb into it (be careful not to touch the glass) and turning on the lights. If it turns on when you flip the switch, just take all that crap out.

Unfortunately, they hacked up the bulb covers to run those wires, so you're going to have a hole, but you may be able to get away with just covering it with tape. Make sure you do a damn good job of it though, you REALLY don't want water to get in there.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.