TPMS and turn indicators/blinkers - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on TPMS and turn indicators/blinkers within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by nsibanez usually when the tpms is blinking, doesnt that mean a sensor isnt communicating? I figure if ...

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    usually when the tpms is blinking, doesnt that mean a sensor isnt communicating? I figure if that's how it is w/ toyotas then it could be with subie if they work the same.
    The problem is a little more complicated than that, if you read the whole story.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

So I was all set to call up and make an appointment, as I said back on the 3rd. Of course, it hasn't happened since.

FML
    - Will

Hopefully you find out what's going on. It's kind of bugging me to know. Maybe something is shorting out...If you look through the schematics for tpms and turn signals there's no similar wires or parts, but then again I'm not the best at reading schematics.
    I have a motor all data login if you want to give it a try

Quick update, if for no other reason than just so I have this all written down somewhere.

This past weekend I drove out to Ohio. The night before, driving home from work, as soon as I got in the car the hill assist light was on and blinkers were nonfunctional. This went away before I got home. I decided to go ahead with the trip, and there was only one moment on the drive out where the gremlin reared its head. Haven't had it happen since.

I finally called SOA yesterday and laid out the whole story to the customer service rep. He said he is going to gather all info he can from the dealership and the tech dept. and get back to me to tell me what they can do for me. I don't really know what to expect, so I'll be waiting with lots of curiousity.
    - Will

Ok, on Friday night just as I was about home from physical therapy after work, it came back full force. Not only is it on full time but the hill-assist system is offline all the time with the accompanying light. The cruise control light also starts flashing after 30 minutes or so of driving.

I wonder if they should just take a look at the wiring harness. But I'm doing my best not to make any suggestions since I am admittedly no expert on this sort of thing. They are having a different tech take a look, and this is the worst that the problem has been, so hopefully they will be able to narrow something down.

Still waiting to hear from SOA about the whole thing.
    - Will

Ok, just got a call.

Ignition relay number 2...you son of a bitch!

So, apparently this ignition relay is involved in supplying power to, you guessed it, the TPMS system, the turn indicator system, and a switch in the clutch. The switch in the clutch is what informs both the cruise control and hill assist systems of the clutch's position. That switch not getting power = failed hill assist and cruise control.

The dealership checked this relay and found it to be absolutely failed at this point. Replaced it and all the offline systems and christmas tree lights on the dash were corrected.

Fingers crossed, knock on wood, etc...
    - Will

Good luck with this! I hope that's it. Please let us know if that's so, in maybe a week or when you feel comfortable that it's fixed (finally). I sure hope this was it. It does seem to make sense.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Wow I know the feeling. My accord I had a few years ago had something messed up with the srs relay in the passenger seat. I was in the dealership once a month. They must have built your car the day after a holiday weekend

I Support ClubWRX
    knock knock knockin.. good luck!
    Rod
    2014 WRX SWP Premium sedan
    Stink-Eye Mob #57
    "Just remember, with great power comes great responsibility" - rarrior

Thanks for the wishes of luck, I'm sure I'll have PTSD for a while, jumping at imagined lights on the dash, but I am somewhat optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by dtraill27 View Post
    Wow I know the feeling. My accord I had a few years ago had something messed up with the srs relay in the passenger seat. I was in the dealership once a month. They must have built your car the day after a holiday weekend
    I've been joking the the service manager that Subaru must have hired a former VW worker the day my car was built.
    - Will

Re: TPMS and turn indicators/blinkers

Pretty sure one of my local guys had this problem. Forwarding on the info. Sure hope it works.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

Incidentally, the noise I was often hearing in the dash that accompanied the system craziness was right around where they said this relay was. I hope if anyone else has this problem they find this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Incidentally, the noise I was often hearing in the dash that accompanied the system craziness was right around where they said this relay was. I hope if anyone else has this problem they find this thread.
    Well, my 2012 impreza is currently in the shop with the same symptoms, although not quite as bad - I've only had the blinking TPMS light with non-functioning blinkers, and only three times so far (although I did get the hill start assist and blinking cruise control light for a couple of days once. So maybe it's related). Still, enough to get me worried, as I don't like driving without blinkers, or the feeling of not knowing if everything will work next time I start my car. I gave them a printout of this thread - hopefully it will help them track it down. Thanks for posting!

another Veedubaru!
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Quote Originally Posted by ibrewster View Post
    Well, my 2012 impreza is currently in the shop with the same symptoms, although not quite as bad - I've only had the blinking TPMS light with non-functioning blinkers, and only three times so far (although I did get the hill start assist and blinking cruise control light for a couple of days once. So maybe it's related). Still, enough to get me worried, as I don't like driving without blinkers, or the feeling of not knowing if everything will work next time I start my car. I gave them a printout of this thread - hopefully it will help them track it down. Thanks for posting!
    Sounds very similar! I had strange combinations of the different symptoms too, I believe that the way the relay is made different failures can occur at different times, until eventually the whole relay just completely fails and everything is messed up at all times as it was with mine at the end. I hope that finding this thread helps you resolve it, and resolve it much more quickly than my saga!
    - Will

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast