03 WRX Turbo bearings?

This is a discussion on 03 WRX Turbo bearings? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Bearings have a pretty distinct sound when they go bad...I'm not going to take the turbo out just yet...BUT the ...

03 WRX Turbo bearings?

Bearings have a pretty distinct sound when they go bad...I'm not going to take the turbo out just yet...BUT the noise is a howling noise in 5th gear ONLY around 100 mph. I'm not hauling ass to get to 100 mph its just a normal shift into 5th around 60 then just slowly get up to 100 mph and it just gets progressively worse as speed increases. I don't know i'm wondering if it is a bad turbo bearing i would think i should hear it in all gear ranges at varying speeds but then again wheel bearings etc. if bad could be heard only at certain speeds. If anyone has or has had a similar problem like this there no driveability issues or idling issues just a bearing like noise coming from the right side of the car. i dont need any flack about driving this fast just some insight thank you! Oh its the factory turbo....
    2003 Impreza WRX Sport Wagon

"I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

Is it fast? I don't even know if its street legal. O.o (IROC-Z)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Well.. most bugeyes make a howling noise around 100-120+mph (coincidentally so does my Forester, only at ~85+mph). Next time it does it try cracking the front windows.

I Support ClubWRX
    Bad turbo bearings don't just make noises at a certian mph in a certain gear. The turbo would sound like a banshee the minute it got into boost.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

yeah its the hood scoop making the howling noise its the jdm one its reeeeeeeeely loud though like abnormally louder i dont think the rubber bellow is sealing correctly
    2003 Impreza WRX Sport Wagon

"I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

Is it fast? I don't even know if its street legal. O.o (IROC-Z)