2002 wrx turbo surge while idling
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2002 wrx turbo surge while idling within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey i have a 2002 wrx wagon with about 103k miles,i have been gone all summer working and roommates have ...

hey i have a 2002 wrx wagon with about 103k miles,i have been gone all summer working and roommates have been driving and "taking care of the pm's" got back the other day i noticed it was having a turbo surge while idling and seems to be running sluggish, any thoughts? local subaru mechanic didnt have suggestions other than tear it apart and trouble shoot piece by piece, it also has loud clicking could these be related?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mike5176 View Post
    hey i have a 2002 wrx wagon with about 103k miles,i have been gone all summer working and roommates have been driving and "taking care of the pm's" got back the other day
    I don't know what any of this means, sorry.

i noticed it was having a turbo surge while idling
    Please define surge at idle.

any thoughts?
    No, sorry, I can't follow. The clicking could be related but I don't know to what, since I can't understand what you're describing.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

sorry, well while the car is idling the rpms seem to stay the same but the turbo gauge reads between -.07 and -.08,

I Support ClubWRX
    That is vacuum, not boost. The turbo generates boost, not vacuum.

Did the mechanic propose to tear it apart and trouble shoot piece by piece in response to the (slight) fluctuation in vacuum at idle, the clicking, the sluggish running, or something else?

What is the most boost you have observed?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

sorry took me so long to get back. but i had to get the 105k maintenance done and when i did the mechanic said he would look over everything. he didnt see anything. and seemed to run better for about 5 miles. now the turbo surge is significantly worse

I Support ClubWRX
    This is NOT "turbo surge". You're reading vacuum, as you should at idle. The engine is sucking in air, the turbo isn't even spooled...

What is the peak boost (positive PSI) that you read when you are in third gear, foot to the floor?
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

3rd gear to the floor it reads +.04 MPa

Theres something definitely wrong with your turbo system. Commonly, a missing restrictor pill.
    Does your turbo system look like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	07subaruservicebulletinrk2.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	108693
    If everything checks LOOKS fine. Check the wastegate hose. At that age I wouldn't be surprised if there were cracks. Mine had a big one.

ya thats the same one

stupid question what am i look for when you say restriction pill

Nonono, we know thats what you're supposed to have but at .04 MPa boost, your turbo running wastegate pressure.

Normal boost is .1 MPa. Check the line with the T-fitting outward, check that there are no cracks and that line 1 has a restrictor pill. You can feel it when squeezing the hose.

Restrictor pill: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pill.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	108695
    Restrictor pill
    Last edited by UEDan; 10-06-2012 at 05:17 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    What mechanic did the 105,000 mile service? Was it a Subaru dealer? If so, I'd take it back right away. They should know better. If not, I'd find one. It will be hard to troubleshoot this without a lot more data (like pulling logs), or at the minimum detailed pictures of the engine bay showing the boost control circuit.

What mods do you have? All this information is need to help source the issue.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

no i took to the local mechanic specialized to work on subarus. i would have gone to the dealer but its a 4 hour drive to anchorage, i bought the car used the only mods are ses turbo back exhaust. koyorad radiator, compustar autostart/security/turbo timer system, and in interior and audio mods

I Support ClubWRX

Hmm, definitely post pics of the boost control circuit then. Is the car tuned for the turbo-back exhaust? Bugeyes "can" run TBEs on the factory tune, but it would be good to know if the car has a tune on it regardless.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

well i went throught and replaced the line from the wastegate actuator to the t and from the to the solenoid, but they did not have clamps, do they need them? after this the car was running alot better, but it would only boost up the about +.06,Attachment 108699 is this the boost control circuit? not really sure what im looking for

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.