What is the best gas to use?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on What is the best gas to use? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I hear Shell is the best. I filled up with Hess last time and it seemed to get more mileage ...

I hear Shell is the best. I filled up with Hess last time and it seemed to get more mileage then BP which I usually use, but maybe it just me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Every seller sells the best gas; they'll tell you so if you ask...

I just shop based on price and convenience, with special emphasis on the quality of coffee in the station itself. I'm not joking. Money and coffee are all that matter.

So far so good, many cars and many, many years later. Never had a fuel problem.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post

I just shop based on price and convenience, with special emphasis on the quality of coffee in the station itself. I'm not joking. Money and coffee are all that matter.

Nice perspective. As long as they have 93 (which almost every station around here does)... I rarely even look at the price anymore. I figure by the time I shop around, I could have paid an extra dime at the station with much better coffee and been on my way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR

I'm with Spiros.

I shop based on price/convenience, with a strong disdain for shops that charge additional prices for CC purchases (I will only buy there in a dire emergency). Instead of coffee, however, I like gas stations that have a good beer selection.

Out of the most convenient gas stations for me, I have a pretty good idea of where they all will be priced in relation to each other. I'll guess the cheapest one, and plan to stop there. When I'm not that familiar with the area, I just stop when I see a station that looks like it has a good product variety inside.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    In my area many of the Chevron stations have, in addition to a decent selection of brewed Van Houtte coffee, a machine that will both grind and brew single cups on the spot. This can be quite good. They also have a variety of creamers on hand etc.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    I used to fill up only at Shell. But for some reason the Shell gas stations near me have all decided to charge at least 10/gallon more than the competition. Plus they all have cash/credit pricing. And if you use your credit card you have to pay another 10/gallon.

I found a BP gas station nearby that was cheaper & had the same price cash/credit. Now I only fill up at that station.Cost was $4.41 yesterday vs $4.65 at Shell. I haven't had any issues so far. The only Hess station near me actually sells the cheapest gas around here. But it is kind of out of my way. If I am in the area I go there.

Also use apps like gas buddy to find the best prices around you.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

The ones across the river from me in NJ, where gas is 15 cents cheaper AND gets pumped for you!

Seriously though, as long as you're not buying from some no-name station, I don't think you have to worry too much about gas quality. Mileage is going to be more affected by how/where the car is driven than anything else.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

My brother worked at a gas station and always recommended this:

If you see the gas truck filling up the pumps, turn around and go somewhere else. The process of filling up their tank would churn up the debris that falls into the tank over many years.

Might be a little paranoia, but I still follow this to this day.

On the other note, I find that I achieve 1-2 mpg worse at mom&pop gas stations. 4 fill-ups at each station (two different stations, 8 total tanks of 250 miles each), only driving to and from work maintaining 70 mph on the highway proved this to me. I only buy brand name.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam5280 View Post

I hear a lot of good things about VP Import, but then again, who wants to pay $130+ for a 5 gallon jug of fuel?

You guys like your coffee huh lol, I figured Id ask because I read Shell V-power has the most additives behind BP and Chevron and is considered a Top Tier gas...Hess was not mentioned at all and do not post there additive specs. I feel like BP gas burns faster and a full tank lasts 5 days whereas Im on 8 days and still a 1/4 tank left of Hess. Could also be that I just broke 2000 miles on my rex and the fuel mileage is increasing.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by drkhead
    If you see the gas truck filling up the pumps, turn around and go somewhere else. The process of filling up their tank would churn up the debris that falls into the tank over many years.
    I've followed that rule. If there's a visible tanker anywhere in the vicinity, I skip the station and go onto the next.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I've followed that rule. If there's a visible tanker anywhere in the vicinity, I skip the station and go onto the next.
    I've also always followed this simple rule. In addition, the best time to fill up is early in the morning. The underground fuel tanks are the coldest at this time, this helps minimize the amount of vapor, instead of fuel, you're paying for. You get less for what you pay for during the warm season. You should also never fill up at the fastest setting on the pump handle, but rather the slowest... which also helps reduce vapor. Gas is expensive enough without wasting your money on vapor.
    Last edited by Kevlar_Bltprf; 09-21-2012 at 07:42 PM.

I always wondered about Shell. It says V-Power-Nitrogen enriched. Isn't Nitrogen an inert gas? How would that help make more power?

I Support ClubWRX

Quote Originally Posted by Mf645 View Post
    I always wondered about Shell. It says V-Power-Nitrogen enriched. Isn't Nitrogen an inert gas? How would that help make more power?
    It is analogous to a detergent, intended to help reduce deposits and so on. It might actually be true.

What's rubbish is the company's claim that adding nitrogen to the fuel doesn't increase nitrogen emissions. Their claim seems to be this is the case because most of the emitted nitrogen comes from air. It's true that air is mostly nitrogen and cars burn mostly air, not fuel; however adding nitrogen increases available nitrogen, and that's that. I am underwhelmed by their stance; it's almost insulting.

By the way, since gasoline is regulated I find it unlikely any fuel bought legally will differ in a meaningful manner to any other legal fuel.

The coffee at the station, the price, the cleanliness of the lavatories, all these things matter more to me.

Re: What is the best gas to use?

I use hess.. And my reasoning is they don't do that "cash discount" BS, and they are usually cheaper than the "cash discount" places.
    I always hear people saying that charging different prices for cash or credit card purchases should be outlawed.. But I think its something that can be better offset by just boycotting them all together.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast