What is this part?

This is a discussion on What is this part? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Sorry, should've made the circle and arrow thicker to notice it better, but you can see it. I was curious ...

What is this part?

Sorry, should've made the circle and arrow thicker to notice it better, but you can see it. I was curious what the circled part was... I noticed a sound coming from the engine on cold starts a few weeks ago and couldn't figure out what it was so I popped the hood and saw this piece spinning, recreating the sound. What is it and what is it for? Sorry for the noobie question, I just like to know about as much as I can about my cars and don't think I've ever had this in any other one. Thanks
    2012 WRB WRX Sedan ...
    BPanda Build
    ...On order since 5/14/2012
    ...Picked up on 6/29/2012

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A/C Condenser/Condenser Pulley?
    2006 WRX Limited -Pro-tuned VF-39, STI TMIC, STI factory I/C Sprayer, Throttle body Coolant Bypass, STI Exhaust, SPT Short Ram Intake, SPT Upper Front and Rear Strut Bar, Red Samco Radiator Hoses, STI Trunk, SPT Short Shifter, Aftermarket Rotors, Lamco Turbo Gauge, Catless Downpipe, Hella Supertones, RallyArmor Limited Edition Pink UR Flaps, 35% Tint, Grounding Mod, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, SPT Heat Shield STI Piston Shift Knob!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #430

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah that's the A/C pulley. It has a clutch system built in so that it can stop spinning the compressor and have the belt still turn a part of the pulley. Typically the sound comes when it engages or disengages.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX

What is this part?

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Yeah that's the A/C pulley. It has a clutch system built in so that it can stop spinning the compressor and have the belt still turn a part of the pulley. Typically the sound comes when it engages or disengages.
    This.

Also, remember your AC compressor kicks on with the defroster, even if you don't have the button pushed.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth