how much damage do you think i did

This is a discussion on how much damage do you think i did within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys. So things took a turn for the worst an my baby met with a ditch. I wrecked the ...

how much damage do you think i did

Hey guys. So things took a turn for the worst an my baby met with a ditch. I wrecked the bumper so i took that off and noticed the frame (or whatever the radiator sits on)was dented an bent as well. i was able to drive it out, and nothing else appears to be bent. she drives perfectly straight but i definately need a bumper at the very least...although im terrified i did much more damage than it appears. the pics arent great but the only thing bent up is that very bottom horizontal bar and nothing else. Ill be getting it checked out asap but do you guys think i need a new bumper or a new car...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20120919_095247.jpg   20120919_162136.jpg   20120919_095233.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wasnt sure where this thread belonged, but would that be considered the outer lower tie bar for the radiator support? and is that part of the frame under it? thanks...im such an idiot for letting it happen and determimed to do as much as possible on my own

I Support ClubWRX
    Bummer, sorry to see that.

I think that black bar is the front part of the subframe. Is it a big U shaped piece that wraps way back past the front wheels? If so, that whole thing just bolts off and back on without any fuss. You don't have to support anything, just replace it with one from a salvage yard etc.

I'd get the alignment checked asap.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Well the good news is that it looks like your bumper REBAR is fine, that is what holds the front frame pieces in "square".

Bad news is the U-shaped subframe that the engine and everything mounts to is bent. It is replaceable, it bolts on, and if you got a few $$$ upgrades are available.

02-07 Subaru WRX & STI Suspension Braces: JSC Speed

The lower rad support is bent to, but I wouldn't be too worried about that.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Thanks a bunch for the quick reply. Im going to toss her on the lift tonight and find out how accessible that u shaped subframe is and whether or not its holding my engine or anything heavy lol. then its off to the city for a bumper, those plastic fender liners, clips, and one of those suspension braces. and absolutely an alignment.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you have a lift, the u-shaped brace wont be too bad.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Would it be possible (though perhaps sacrificing safety) to remove that subframe altogether and just leave it off. Ive read somewhere about guys doing that as a weight saving measure. anyone know if thats structural or just for extra safety? Btw i never did mention its an 06 wrx.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mthurston View Post
    Would it be possible (though perhaps sacrificing safety) to remove that subframe altogether and just leave it off. Ive read somewhere about guys doing that as a weight saving measure. anyone know if thats structural or just for extra safety? Btw i never did mention its an 06 wrx.
    Structural. As 06WRX was saying, it supports the weight bearing area you engine is mounted to and the pickup points for the control arms. It bolts off easily and independently, but it provides rigidity to that whole area. I.e. there are aftermarket parts to provide even more stiffness in that area and people see improvements that way. People running without anything there are nuts. If you want to save weight get the aluminum pieces.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

That's a good point I'll just try to salvage one probably but this one really doesn't look too bad. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120921_002529.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	108450
    Last edited by mthurston; 09-21-2012 at 03:51 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Personally that wouldn't go back on my car, and don't even tell me you are gonna heat it up and bend it back.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE