Help Identify
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Help Identify within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I got an 02 wrx. Need help figure out what these 3 things are....

Help Identify

I got an 02 wrx. Need help figure out what these 3 things are.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Post a wider picture please.
    2005 WRX (Silver) SoCal Subie
    Blobeye Syndicate #1093
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...al-05-wrx.html - Build Thread
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/34009765@N06/ - For whatever pics i take.
    Mikie13-Spend money on hookers and blow. That's a better intake.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    breather ports.. but that engine isn't from an 02 WRX

Help Identify

It's not? What engine is it?

Hard to know from that pic, but it says EJ25 on the top of the block. 02-05 USDM WRX had the EJ205. That block you have there could be from a STi, 2.5RS, Impreza, Forester, Legacy, or 06-13 WRX..

any way I can narrow it down to which engine it is?

If you tear it down.. the N/A blocks are different from turbo blocks, and the pistons in an ej257 (STi) are different from ej255 (WRX/Forester XT) pistons.

WRX on the left, STI on the right. The dish on the WRX piston is deeper (25.5cc) then the STi (22cc). Either one will yield you with higher than optimal compression ratio if you're using ej205 heads on it.. factoring in piston dish, you'd be a little better off with the WRX pistons in there, but I would still have the combustion chamber on the heads opened up. (That's assuming you have ej205 heads on that motor.)

For what it's worth, it looks like 04-05 Forester XT had the lower compression pistons installed, while 06+ had higher compression pistons.

Help Identify

Thanks for the info! Now I'm wondering if I should continue on with this. Don't want this blowing after we get it all together.

I Support ClubWRX

Help Identify

You will need to work on heads with compression ratio correction in mind and will also need a reflashed ECU with a new map. Search for hybrid build info.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    You will need to work on heads with compression ratio correction in mind and will also need a reflashed ECU with a new map. Search for hybrid build info.

You can get around head work by running a thicker head gasket, but it's not the best way to go about it. New injectors and a fuel pump would probably be wise, along with the tune. The 2.5L block has an extra breather compared to the ej205, most will just T that breather in with the PCV system, or plug it. Although the optimal thing to do is add an additional port to each of your valve covers and connect the unbaffled crank case breather to those for pressure equalization. Then run the breather near the back of the block along with the two other head breathers to a catch can or AOS.

Help Identify

So the gist is... I'm way over my head with this. Lol here I though I was just a day away from putting it back in the car.

What's the history of the car? I'm assuming you just bought it.. It will help if you can tell us everything you know about it in as much detail as possible.

I Support ClubWRX

Help Identify

I don't think you are in too deep at all. It is a popular modification and can be made to run very well. It's a matter of time, money and research. It is feasible and in fact people chose to do this setup.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I don't know much of the history. I got the car when it was pretty much apart. Original owner didn't have time to finish it, so I'm just putting it back together. seems some parts are missing here and there. This is my first subbie. so It's been a big learning experience for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast