Replacing Front passenger frame rail

This is a discussion on Replacing Front passenger frame rail within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just curious if anyone here has done this. The mounting area on mine for the bumper support is all mangled ...

Replacing Front passenger frame rail

Just curious if anyone here has done this. The mounting area on mine for the bumper support is all mangled up from a tree running into it. The rest of the frame is straight, it bent the horn off to the side just a little. I have a brand new rail from Subaru, wondering if it's possible that the rail can be bolted in and then welded? Or if I need to do some cutting and welding. Haven't taken much of a look at how it connects yet, been working and only had the car two days.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tomslack34 View Post
    I have not done it ever. You can get the help and information on search engines. Good luck.
    If you'd like to sell railroad track maintenance on a Subaru site (), please contact justin@clubwrx.net to become a vendor. Otherwise, please do not link to commercial sites.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    If you'd like to sell railroad track maintenance on a Subaru site (), please contact justin@clubwrx.net to become a vendor. Otherwise, please do not link to commercial sites.
    Is that what people mean when they say their car handles like it's on rails!?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    I have. The panels on the front are all spot welded together and are indexed to one another. I recommend a spot weld cutter to make quick work of the spot welds holding the damaged panel in place. I also used an air chisel with a variety of bits to help coerce the offending parts off.

You may want to take it to a frame shop to ensure the chassis is straight before you weld the new panels in place.

Because of the difference in order of operations from when it left the factory, you may need to drill holes in your new panel, and plug weld it to the existing structure. I had to do this on several of the panels.

Your new panels will be e-coated, you should invest in some weld through primer.

On an old bugeye, I replaced the top rad support bar, both headlight buckets, several pieces of the drivers side "frame rail" (its just several panels spot welded together), inner fender pieces as well as part of the A pillar.

Edit:

Wow this is an old thread.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE