Horsepower questions / low HP gains
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Horsepower questions / low HP gains within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2006 WRX stage II with an Invidia catless downpipe and a Perrin cat-back exhaust. I know the ...

I have a 2006 WRX stage II with an Invidia catless downpipe and a Perrin cat-back exhaust. I know the theoretical horsepower for stage II is 280; I used the Dyno on my Accessport and I read an average of about 253. I have probably done about 15 Dyno runs and they are all about the same. My question is, why am I not getting close to the HP gains I should have and what would I have to do to improve it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The answer is...its not accurate. Don't use any of those "electronic dynos" as gospel.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

The "dyno" feature on the AP is extremely inaccurate. I did it once and got close to like 450....If you want a definite accurate number, find a local place that does dyno runs. Shouldn't cost too much.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

^ what these guys said.

The best way to determine the gains your mods gave is to dyno before and after on the same dyno.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    When I had my Cobb stage 2 06 w/ invidia catless TBE, I made 241whp on a dynojet and 220ish on a mustang dyno.

Like the others said though, you'll need to go to a local dyno for accurate numbers. Every dyno will be different.
    Last edited by wrxtreme06; 09-12-2012 at 09:17 AM.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    The "dyno" feature on the AP is extremely inaccurate. I did it once and got close to like 450....If you want a definite accurate number, find a local place that does dyno runs. Shouldn't cost too much.
    I don't recall how it happened, but I remember mine saying 1,100 HP once.

Do you think I am getting close to 280? I did notice a huge difference when I went to stage II.

Don't worry about peak numbers, every dyno reads different. As long you are seeing a difference between stock and stage 2, you are golden.

Just on a side note, what would you guys recommend next for reasonably priced mods? I dont really want To get in to anything too expensive, but I'm looking to improve performance more.

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Bucket View Post
    Just on a side note, what would you guys recommend next for reasonably priced mods? I dont really want To get in to anything too expensive, but I'm looking to improve performance more.
    This:

Perrin 08+ WRX / 05-09 Legacy GT BlackTurbo Inlet [paPSP-INT-421BK] - $206.99 : Kronos Performance, Fueling the Car Lover Within
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Bucket View Post
    Have you done anything handling-wise? Or are you just interesting in moar powah?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I have done nothing for handling, except for slotted front rotors. I don't really see a need for it because I'll never take it to a track, although it would be nice.

I Support ClubWRX

280 is extremely high for whp on a OTS stage II map. Hell even with a custom tune 280 is wishful at best. Cobb's numbers are little misleading at times.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    280 is extremely high for whp on a OTS stage II map. Hell even with a custom tune 280 is wishful at best. Cobb's numbers are little misleading at times.
    That's a but disappointing, but good to know.

The best use of a dyno is to compare before and after. The numbers don't really matter as each dyno can read a bit different, some a lot different. My motorcycle reads between 147 and 161hp depending on the dyno.

But comparing the power curve to before and after mods can be very useful.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.