2012 WRX CEL P0451!!!

This is a discussion on 2012 WRX CEL P0451!!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I got in my car to go to work this afternoon and my engine light was on and the ...

2012 WRX CEL P0451!!!

So I got in my car to go to work this afternoon and my engine light was on and the cruise control light was flashing. I plugged my scanner in to read it and I got a CEL of P0451-EVAP emission control system press sensor range. I checked the gas cap and looked for any disconnected hoses but found nothing and the cell didn't go off with the gas cap. I took the car in to thwbdealWr but the techs were already gone, so hopefully I should know something tomorrow. Hope its not serious, I'm leaving on a 1300 one way road trip on Saturday morning, "in my WRX". Might end up having to take my wife's Audi. Anyone else have this cell? I have a little over 6k miles. SPt exhaust and the rest is stock.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Has to do with the in tank sensor. Just Google "WRX P0451"
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Did you clear it? If so, did it come back?
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

I didn't clear it myself when I connected my scanner. But I picked the car up today and talked to the shop manager. He said when my wife brought the car in (I had to go to work), he tried connecting his scanner to it and he was getting the same p0451 code and tried to clear it and wouldn't clear. He messed with the gas cap and still nothing, so he left it for the techs. The tech apparently scanned it again with a laptop, and got a p0457 which is a loose gas cap. So the tech checked the cap and everything looked fine except the seal looked funny. He changed the seal and cleared the code and hasn't come back since. I didn't look to see what the seal looks like but I probably should in case it happens again. My question now is, do laptop programs scan different than a normal scanner???

Well, this problem is back and I've been to the dealership twice this week and they can't find anything wrong with the car. So they gave me a loner Forester and they are trying to figure it now...going on 2 days now.

Hey so I got a 2012 subaru to, and I left my gas cap loose and my check engine light came on so I tighten the cap and went away.. Well I went to Tahoe and it came back on. So I got it hooked up to a computer and it said code p0451 so I had him clear and I'm gunna wait and see if it comes back.. Anyone think they know??

Quote Originally Posted by Jason w View Post
    Hey so I got a 2012 subaru to, and I left my gas cap loose and my check engine light came on so I tighten the cap and went away.. Well I went to Tahoe and it came back on. So I got it hooked up to a computer and it said code p0451 so I had him clear and I'm gunna wait and see if it comes back.. Anyone think they know??
    My problem never came back after I cleared the code with a scan tool I bought from autozone. I got the same code p0451, cleared it and it never came back.

I have 2012 wrx with 10000 miles P0451 (evaporative emissions system malfunction) code came on yesterday got it to the dealer told me faulty EVAP leak check valve/pump. They order the part and will replace on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdmluvr View Post
    My problem never came back after I cleared the code with a scan tool I bought from autozone. I got the same code p0451, cleared it and it never came back.

I have a 2013 with the same problem. Was at the dealer once, they said they tightened some hoses but everything seemed ok. Well check engine light is back on again, its going back to the dealer Wednesday. It also has a rough idle that comes and goes and hesitation when I accelerate.
    2013 WRX Sedan DGM

-Paul

sounds like anoter tsb or possible recall on the way

the laptop scanners are typically more involved. the p0451 sounds like the generic evap code and then the scanner will show both the p0451 and whatever else.