Clutch? problems at 46k miles

This is a discussion on Clutch? problems at 46k miles within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am having trouble getting my car into reverse frequently, and sometimes into 1st. I didnt notice the problem until ...

Clutch? problems at 46k miles

I am having trouble getting my car into reverse frequently, and sometimes into 1st. I didnt notice the problem until about a week after i bought the car, and the subaru delership i purchased the car from denies reverse issue ever existed. I also started noticing a sqeaking/creaking noise coming from the general area of my transmission when i depress the clutch pedal, about a week ago. i get the sqeak about 3 inches off the floor. i took the car to the dealership and a tech drove my car around the parking lot and said my clutch is fried, even though there is no noticable slippage whatsoever, even under heavy load. They are now wanting to charge me $1480 for the clutch replacement.. Has anybody else had problems going into reverse, and solved the problem? And how much should I be being charged for a clutch replacent in a 2008 wrx??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

subarus have that problem. double clutch for first, go into first before going into reverse. everything should be good after that. sometimes they let you in, other times you gotta play a bit. Lots of us have gotten the squeak as well...mine does occasionally, but only for a bit and then stops.

My clutch was replaced by the dealer (under warranty) but I saw the receipt, it was only about 1k. Mine was slipping tho. From your comments, I would say you go to a stealership
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

Yah ive Tried the first to reverse thing. When its really acting up the only way i can get it into reverse is to let the clutch pedal out a little bit and hope I dont grind gears in the process. My first thought was a problem with the clutch slave cylinder after i stated hearing the sqeak.. My next question is could it possibly be somthing else and I am going to cause damage by not having it fixed immediately? otherwise I'm going to keep driving it and forget about the clutch until it starts slipping...

i have limited knowledge beyond what i experienced myself...ill let someone else with more knowledge help further
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

My STI is in the shop right now for a clutch squeak. The problem with my car is the throw out bearing.

I have 40k on the car and Suby will not help with the bill. I have been quoted 1000.00 to do the job.
    Second place just means you were first too lose!

Fill out your profile. Where are you? I had a similar problem with my 07 WRX after it was repaired by a stealership, Donaldsons, for a bad synchro between 3rd and 4th . Donaldsons returned it to me and 1st would crunch at dead stop and reverse was hard to find. Brought it to Metric Motors and they repaired it, the transmission had been assembled wrong by Donaldsons. This was after a SOA rep told me everything was normal, I just wasn't depressing the clutch and you can't shift into first over 5 mph (in a 5 speed). What BS!

A bad clutch would be a problem in all gears not just 1st and reverse.