2003 WRX headlight/fog light issue

This is a discussion on 2003 WRX headlight/fog light issue within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys Is it normal for the low beams to switch to high beams when you turn on your fog ...

2003 WRX headlight/fog light issue

Hey guys

Is it normal for the low beams to switch to high beams when you turn on your fog lights?

When I first bought the car a couple months ago, I could have both the low beam and fog lights on at the same time but now suddenly I can't :S

What is the issue? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You can run low beam and the fog lights at the same time thats normal. When you turn on the high beams the foglights will be turned off automatically. When you turn the fog lights on though they should not turn on the highbeams. Look for any frayed wires and worn wires touching eachother. Are the lights factory halogen bulbs?
    2003 Impreza WRX Sport Wagon

"I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

Is it fast? I don't even know if its street legal. O.o (IROC-Z)

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, it sounds like your lights are doing the opposite of what they're supposed to do.

Under normal operation, the foglights turn off with the high beams because fog lights are designed for thick fog (duh), and you should never use high beams in fog. If the weather is clear enough for high beams to be effective, then you shouldn't have your fog lights on.

In your case, I would do a careful audit of your wiring as Scoobaru suggested. Check for DIY wiring or other signs of tampering.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Ok thanks guys! I will check out the wiring.