Going absolutely INSANE with this intermittent idle shake!! HELP!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Going absolutely INSANE with this intermittent idle shake!! HELP! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, I still cant find anyone that has posted definite results or findings on their rough idles, and I'm at ...

Going absolutely INSANE with this intermittent idle shake!! HELP!

Ok, I still cant find anyone that has posted definite results or findings on their rough idles, and I'm at another dead end. After engine is warmed, idle stays around 750 rpm but the car will intermittently shake with little or no rpm fluctuation. I changed the spark plugs a while ago, didn't fix it. Found small traces of oil in throttle body after popping intercooler off, so changed the PCV, still didn't fix it. Oil is great and all other maintenance is on point. Does anyone have any more ideas? The only next step I cant think of is to replace every hose under the hood or leave it at the mercy of a tuning shop with a surprise $1500 bill to follow. It's a 2006 WRX Limited, BONE STOCK. 77,553 miles. Thanks for any help!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Is the shake abnormal? Have you compared a similar car?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

my 2010 has a random gentle shiver at Idle.. its had it since I rolled it off the lot at 63 mi and still has it at 90K mi. Its a gentle random shake.. no rpm change or stutter or misfire. I feel it through the driverseat. GF's 07 does it too.. so do a few of the other locals I've talked to about it. Its a 4cyl boxer engine trait.. old VW's do it too. Its just a quirk that comes with the engine design. Nothin to worry about.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    There is normally a bit of shaking in the Subaru idle I have found.

Has it always done this? If so, you are probably okay. Maybe do a few data logging sessions while looking for any detonation or severe fuel trims.

If this is a recent advance, you may consider doing a compression test in the near future - even for just a sanity check. Sometimes blown ringlands show themselves as an intermittently rough idle. Any abnormal colored or odd smelling smoke in the exhaust?

It could be a few routine things as well. If you do some data logging and it comes back with fuel trims across the board, consider cleaning your Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF) and possibly your air filter. If you don't have access to data logging, they would be good to clean regardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Are you SURE your A/C or defrost isn't on? Also, are you applying any pressure to the brakes?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Grounding kit, and install equal length headers. When I put my Perrin ELH on my car that was one of the main things I noticed immediately. When I would stop at lights I couldn't would think my car had died because the idle was so smooth compared to the UEL headers that were on it before.

Possibility of tranny or engine mounts starting to wear out?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

This might be a stretch, I'm not sure... but my last car was a 2007 GMC Envoy, and these things need throttle body cleaning every 50-60k or so to smooth out the idle (and give you better MPG & HP).

This happen with subies too?

There is a little smell of burning oil after shutdown on a hot day, but like I attribute that to the oil that seems to be sneaking past the PCV... I'll heed all the advice given so far and run it through the tests. It's good to hear that it's a common trait. No A/C or defrost, I'll jump on the compression check and cleaning the MAF! Thanks everyone! I'm just one of those guys that's trying to make their car last forever... I drive myself nuts with this stuff. Good thing I don't have kids, they'd be sitting in the doctors office once a week!

I Support ClubWRX
    I have an 06 TR and mine has done it since the day I bought it 6.5 years ago and still doing it at 87,000 miles. I have found it is much more pronounced when the A/C or defrost is on. It is worse when the headlights and defrost are on.

When I protuned it, it was soo bad that the headlights would dim and almost kill the car. Luckily COBB released a firmware update that allows you to bump idle independent of map flash for both base and idle w/AC on.

I jumped it up 75 RPM or so in both cases.

I also noticed mine got worse as my battery reached death. 3 years ago my car would die when the stumble happened and the headlights were on, so I had my battery tested and I had a dying cell. The car would start just fine and run fine, but when tested the battery was down 250ca or so.

Replaced the battery and it was virtually unnoticeable comparably until a few months ago (when it started getting HOT here). I shut my car off the other day popped the hood to check the belt tension and smelled battery acid venting. I think my battery is on its way out again.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I've been considering a new battery for the same reason! Thanks! It's got the original battery, maybe it's time to replace before I end up in a jam.

My car seems to do that as well. 2004 with 141. Doesn't bother me and never increases as I drive the car so I don't see any problem.
    To the face!
    04' Stage 2 WRX | Premium Silver. Premium Sex.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.