Weakened performance
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Weakened performance within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I left my car untouched for an entire weekend. When I got back in and took off, something wasn't right. ...

Weakened performance

I left my car untouched for an entire weekend. When I got back in and took off, something wasn't right. Seems like it just fell on its face after 4k. Usually it'll accelerate up to 6, 6.5k. My check engine has been on for almost a couple years and i have replaced both O2 sensors and changed out the plugs. Still not much better, although I can feel a very minimal increase in performance. I can hear the turbo working just fine. There is still something holding it back and I'm wondering if it's the cat converter. Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Your CEL has been on for a few years?? Did you ever read the code?

What mods are on the car, what car for that matter, and do you have a boost gauge?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah... You can always read the code to tell what it's complaining about. That's a step in the right direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I did. It just read for the O2 sensors. I replaced them and still not much improvement.

It's a 2004 WRX. No mods to the car, but it does have a boost gauge. The code only read for an O2 sensor and I never really cared to replace it. Light hasn't come back on since I replaced the sensors a week ago.

I Support ClubWRX
    Read and post the actual current CEL codes. Also post full list of modifications and all service history or recent changes.

Edit: saw your post. So no current CEL?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by arnold8811 View Post
    It's a 2004 WRX. No mods to the car, but it does have a boost gauge. The code only read for an O2 sensor and I never really cared to replace it. Light hasn't come back on since I replaced the sensors a week ago.
    Are you hitting target boost? Do you notice a fair amount of oil in the intercooler to throttle body junction, or simply are you burning oil? If the O2 sensor was reading incorrectly, the car may have been incorrectly compensating the AFRs during closed loop adjustment. Potentially, this could have produced a lean condition over time that fried your piston rings. Your motor could be done. Perhaps next time, you'll think twice before "ignoring" these problems. I'm not saying this is the case, but I would get a compression test done on your motor before you continue. FYR, an O2 sensor costs $50. An engine rebuild costs $4000+. Consider this next time.

Facebook me here

My engine is not burning any oil. How can I tell how much oil is in the intercooler? The car still works ok, it'll get up to speeds of 95, so I doubt the motor is blown.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by arnold8811 View Post
    My engine is not burning any oil. How can I tell how much oil is in the intercooler? The car still works ok, it'll get up to speeds of 95, so I doubt the motor is blown.
    You could have poor compression and still reach 95 mph. Get a compression test... I don't know what else to tell you.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Facebook me here

thanks

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.