Coolant leak advice!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Coolant leak advice!!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; 07 WRX - hey guys, For the past month I have been chasing a slow coolant leak that I have ...

Coolant leak advice!!!

07 WRX - hey guys, For the past month I have been chasing a slow coolant leak that I have yet to find. I'm filling the reservoir every other day or few days. The car runs at normal operating temp but can smell burning coolant and about two times after driving there is steam in the engine bay. The dealer pressure tested it and could not find a leak. Then my dads mechanic pressure tested it and could not find anything and was pretty stumped. So I need any help or advice you may have to find this bastard. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

you say its "not" overheating? .. hmm.... check to make sure the rad and res caps are sealing correctly? Second question.. do you smell any coolant burning off in the exhaust?
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

It has not overheated once. Always running at normal temp. The caps seem to be secure and sealed no evidence of leaks from them. I have not smelled the exhaust (kinda scared cuz that may mean head gasket ahhh!). basically when I drive I can smell that sweet coolant burning scent. and when I park instead of feeling just the heat coming from the engine I can smell the burning smell. and twice I came to park and then steam came out the hood scoop and was filling the bay. really strange...

I Support ClubWRX
    Have someone perform a coolant system pressure test on the car and see what happens. If your holding pressure good. If your loosing pressure find the leak.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    There was a TSB about the upper rad hose fitting; it could sometimes only leak when the motor moved, that is, under throttle when driving. Check everywhere for residue.

Also suspect same of all three hoses to the reservoir near the turbo.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    Have someone perform a coolant system pressure test on the car and see what happens. If your holding pressure good. If your loosing pressure find the leak.
    -I have had two pressure tests and both were good, this is why im confused as to why im losing coolant every few days/burning coolant smell when driving/ and steam in the engine bay...

you finding the leak in the engine bay or on the ground? See anything on the block at all? I know its tough to see...

Any other problems you've noticed with the car? Exhaust burning different colors? Mods? Mileage?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but the more we know, the better we may be able to help!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    you finding the leak in the engine bay or on the ground? See anything on the block at all? I know its tough to see...

Any other problems you've noticed with the car? Exhaust burning different colors? Mods? Mileage?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but the more we know, the better we may be able to help!

-I appreciate the help, I did recently get some mods, i have 55k miles on it. got a vf43 turbo, cobb downpipe/heatsheild, sti tmic, and a pro tune. BUT i originally noticed the leak before this. Now i do occasionally notice a few drops on the ground but very rare only like three times. and very small greenish half inch drips. I did see a wet area under the car of where it may be dripping to let me see if i can get a pic on here. I just cant tell where its coming from.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0604.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	107923
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0604.jpg  
    Last edited by DennisWRX; 08-29-2012 at 10:33 PM.

I have a strange thought about this... do you know if the dye in the coolant is fluorescent? If it is, then maybe shine a blacklight into the engine bay to look for a glowing sign of a leak. If it is not fluorescent, I know that tonic water has quinine in it and it will glow blue under a black light. Although I would not recommend putting any odd things into your coolant system, a luminescent dye may help in tracking your leak..
    David - '05 WRX

also, I'm not too sure, but I think that the wet spot under your car is right about where the AC drip hose lets out
    Last edited by Obeisance; 08-30-2012 at 05:16 AM. Reason: humility
    David - '05 WRX

liquid leaks follow gravity.. find wet spot and look up (no off color Jokes Mikie.. I know what yer thinkin lol)

Seriously, that spot on the x-member is green.. that's coolant and its got to be coming from somewhere above that part. What psi did they pressure test up to?

The ac drain is further rearward than the front x-member/skid pan. Besides that would be clear.. no green tint. Coolant leaves a funky residue .. or you could do what I do.. touch it and taste/smell your finger (I'm watchin you Mikie...). If its sweet its coolant..... if not, well I'm not sure what you just put in your mouth but its not coolant.
    Last edited by mangostick; 08-30-2012 at 05:21 AM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Cretin

Isn't that the general area where the water pump would be?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Wait, you went to a mechanic and pressure tested an overheating car with green juice coming out the bottom, and they told you they don't know where the leak is from and gave up?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Water pump is more forward and my guess would be the tank up top.

I Support ClubWRX
    If your holding pressure on the radiator side of things I wouldn't hesitate to put small pressure on the top reservoir above the passenger side cylinder head.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast