60,000 Mile Service is due. Have a few DIY questions.

This is a discussion on 60,000 Mile Service is due. Have a few DIY questions. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My 60,000 service is ( over due ) but I hope to get it taken in soon. I do plan ...

60,000 Mile Service is due. Have a few DIY questions.

My 60,000 service is ( over due ) but I hope to get it taken in soon. I do plan on doing some of the service myself so that when I do take it in the cost will be lower. I planned on doing the oil change, coolant change and changing the air filter. A lot of the parts I that are inspected for wear I will leave for them and for changing the spark plugs and the other things on the 60K to do list. The parts I do plan on buying such as the coolant and filter is it best to just get that from the dealer or are there other places that sell OEM subaru parts for less? I figured the dealer is going to charge me the same whether I'm buying it to install my self or them doing it but at least I'm not paying for the labor for them to do it. My dealer charges about $500 for the service so I figure if I can cut some of that out then that's a plus. The oil change its self is $70 with mobil 1 and I can do it myself for under $30. I'm sure it similar w/ the coolant change as far as the dealer doing it and doing it yourself. I really don't need a dealership to charge me labor to change an air filter
    2007 WRX STI- Stock 13.8@102

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Coolant isn't likely to be economical to ship so I buy that locally. The air and oil filters are your choice.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

cool, I'll do some poking around online to see what I can find for prices on the oil/air filter. I just want to use all Subaru OEM stuff so the dealership cant say anything about any possible warranty work if it needed it.

As long as the parts you use meet oem specs, you'll have no warranty issues. You don't necessarily need to use subaru parts.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

I Support ClubWRX
    I recommend using authentic parts, particularly during warranty. Whether imitation parts cause a failure or not, those imitation parts can be blamed for the failure, leaving the owner car-less while arguments are settled one way or another. I used non-Subaru motor oil and gear oil but that's about it. never had warranty issues but I kept all receipts and used authentic parts.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I dont mind using subaru parts at all. The warranty is through the dealership as long as I own the car. Their new cars and preowned that meet the criteria are eligible for the warranty. Have not been able to find any good deals on the filters online once shipping is applied so I'll just get all that stuff from the dealer. Anyone have any ball park on how much I can save by doing the filter oil/air and changing the coolant and oil myself will save me? Not to sure on what the dealer rates are and what they book for time to do those.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom351R View Post
    cool, I'll do some poking around online to see what I can find for prices on the oil/air filter. I just want to use all Subaru OEM stuff so the dealership cant say anything about any possible warranty work if it needed it.
    They have to prove the part failed and caused the issue/damage. Having a claim denied and voiding a warranty are two different things That being said I don't ever use OEM unless I absolutely have to or by consensus the OEM part is better. I use Purolator Pure 1 oil filters and Shell Rotella 5W-40. There is no reason to buy any of that stuff online. Walmart/Autozone/Advanced Auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Venom351R View Post
    Anyone have any ball park on how much I can save by doing the filter oil/air and changing the coolant and oil myself will save me? Not to sure on what the dealer rates are and what they book for time to do those.
    It doesn't sound like you have alot of mechanical experience. Purging the cooling system is a bit of a trick on these cars. You might save your self maybe $100.
    Last edited by Donkey; 08-29-2012 at 08:48 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

The warranty is though the actual dealership not SOA so they can decide what to accept or deny for a warranty claim based on any criteria. I do have Mechanical experience, just not with working on these cars at all. Whats involved with purging the system other then just draining the coolant and filing it back up?

This was the condition of my other car not to long ago. Currently it runs and drives.

Last edited by Venom351R; 08-29-2012 at 05:01 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    My concern regarding imitation parts is this: even if they are better than authentic, they are not authentic.

The law will be on my side should I use imitation parts and have a warranty claim. The imitation parts makers lobbied for the law, and they won. That doesn't help me though, it only helps imitation parts makers.

Here's why: the dealer can simply say no to a claim and blame the part. The law would be on my side, but lawyers don't fix cars. Neither do part suppliers. Mechanics fix cars, and the dealer mechanics will at that point be waiting for money despite the warranty. making a legal issue of it isn't viable. At that point my choices would be to wait and see how the issue is resolved, pay the dealer anyway, or pay someone else. Meanwhile the car would remain broken until something shakes loose.

That's why in my view it's simpler to
    use authentic parts under warranty. I've not taken a car for service at a dealer in years, but I use authentic parts, keep the receipts, and gave never had a claim problem. Maybe I am just lucky or overly cautious but that's my story so far.

Out of warranty I am much more flexible. I'm talking only during the honeymoon.

Oh, about the coolant: you need to burp the system or you are almost guaranteed air bubbles and overheating problems. Have a quick search for burping, it's no big deal at all but it's boring and lengthy.

Also, I've never had an issue with Shell oils or Purolator filters. I don't use authentic Subaru motor oil anyway; coolant yes though.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 08-29-2012 at 05:40 PM.

I thought you did not have to burp the system if you filled the coolant from the point near the Intercooler and did not take the radiator cap off? Just had to burp the system on the mustang when I put all the fluids back in it, if its the same process with these cars a monkey could do it .

I Support ClubWRX
    Early cars didn't even have a radiator cap, only the reservoir cap. I've had to burp the system every time I do anything to it.

huh thats weird wonder why they did that. As long as there is not some odd weird way of burping the system on these cars I dont see how it would be to difficult lol

I Support ClubWRX
    It's not difficult, it's tedious and boring. If you overheat you'll know why. Not hard though.

Thanks SD, I'll do some serching on how to do it.