Misfire issue update on my 02 WRX need part location diagram - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Misfire issue update on my 02 WRX need part location diagram within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; He's not wrong. Whether heads plus incidentals are a reasonable job is another matter. Sorry to hear; first find out ...

I Support ClubWRX
    He's not wrong. Whether heads plus incidentals are a reasonable job is another matter. Sorry to hear; first find out what went wrong and then go from there. Worst case, people wreck these cars every day so a decent used motor should not be impossible to find. Figure out why No. 3 left this world before throwing money at it though because you'd not want whatever went wrong to do wrong again.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Right, thanks SD_GR.

Well to post about today, I removed the timing covers and raditator. I found that work has been done there but not sure what. But there is silicone behind the timing covers around the cams. Also the center pulley for the HB bolt is brandnew. So Im very interested to what has happen behind it in the past from the old owner. I will have to call him and see. Do anyone have a step by step to pull the head off if needed? As to the specs for changong valves and all that to get it right if that is the problem. But if it is that a piston has a hole I will be looking for another motor. I am stuck at the moment becausr I can not get the center pulley bolt out without a tool. My buddy says he has one and he will pick it up one dau this week. So My 02 is gonna be down for a min.

Well I am trying to take the left head off. I am at another stand still because I would like to know what I need to take off to get the head off? I already removed the timing gears and cams. Do I need to remove the throttle body intakemanifold all the way off or just bolts to remove the head?

I Support ClubWRX
    I am no help because I have not done this with the motor installed. However, at this point you really need the factory manual. Removing things is not the issue; without clearance and torque specs it is unlikely things will go back together.

For what it's worth, by the book the procedure is to remove the manifold, cams, A/C bracket, leave the first and last bolts on the "top" (intake) side slightly threaded in order to prevent the head from falling off onto the ground, and tapping the head with a mallet to free it from the block.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX

Misfire issue update on my 02 WRX need part location diagram

There is also a specific way you have to remove the bolts. It similar to a torquing sequence. You will need a 12 point 14mm socket and a breaker bar.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Roger that, I got the step by from the library. It tells what parts need to be removed and spec's of bolt's to be installed with. As well as the order of the 12 point bolts to be removed in and put back on in. The top image is off the motor and the bottom is back on the motor.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sub_imp_02-04_cyl_head_boltsl #2.gif 
Views:	43 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	108250

Name:	sub_imp_02-04_cyl_head_seq2l.gif 
Views:	44 
Size:	7.4 KB 
ID:	108251

Here is the torquing sequence that I got from the book. If there is any thing that looks wrong to anyone please let me know.
    Cylinder head with the bolts in sequence
    A. First Pass - Torque to: 22 ft. lbs.(30 Nm)
    B. Second Pass - Torque to: 51 ft. lbs. (69 Nm) - then back off 180 degrees, then an additional 180 degrees in reverse sequence
    C. Third Pass - Torque to: 29 ft. lbs. (39 Nm) plus 80 - 90 degrees - then an additional 40 - 45 degrees
    D. Forth Pass - bolts (A) and (B) an additional 40 - 45 degrees

I do appriciate all the quick answers and help guys. I am just hoping that all my time with my 02 will not end in heart break with a piston issue.
    Last edited by Bro2517; 09-13-2012 at 09:26 PM.

I Support ClubWRX

Misfire issue update on my 02 WRX need part location diagram

I don't recall but can the existing bolts be used again or no?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by frenziedcage View Post
    Check the timing on the timing belt it could be off by a few teeth.
    timing on these cars is super finicky.... we don't have a couple teeth to play with... a few teeth off, and you'll be tapping valves on pistons.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I don't recall but can the existing bolts be used again or no?
    I believe you can. Of course they recommend using new but those bolts are $$$. I would personally reuse them. Coat the threads with a light oil before installing.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Bro2517 View Post
    Roger that, I got the step by from the library. It tells what parts need to be removed and spec's of bolt's to be installed with. As well as the order of the 12 point bolts to be removed in and put back on in. The top image is off the motor and the bottom is back on the motor.

Name:	sub_imp_02-04_cyl_head_boltsl #2.gif 
Views:	43 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	108250

Name:	sub_imp_02-04_cyl_head_seq2l.gif 
Views:	44 
Size:	7.4 KB 
ID:	108251

Here is the torquing sequence that I got from the book. If there is any thing that looks wrong to anyone please let me know.
    Cylinder head with the bolts in sequence
    A. First Pass - Torque to: 22 ft. lbs.(30 Nm)
    B. Second Pass - Torque to: 51 ft. lbs. (69 Nm) - then back off 180 degrees, then an additional 180 degrees in reverse sequence
    C. Third Pass - Torque to: 29 ft. lbs. (39 Nm) plus 80 - 90 degrees - then an additional 40 - 45 degrees
    D. Forth Pass - bolts (A) and (B) an additional 40 - 45 degrees

I do appriciate all the quick answers and help guys. I am just hoping that all my time with my 02 will not end in heart break with a piston issue.
    Looks right to me. You will need a torque angle gauge to torque down the bolts.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Well guy,s here is my problem with having no compression. About time, now I just gotta get the replacement parts and get it on like 80's video game, lol.

Name:	close up 2.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	108291
    Last edited by Bro2517; 09-14-2012 at 03:40 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    How was the piston?

The pistons were clean and in good order. So that big worry is gone and I am very happy that it is not a piston issue. I was pricing motors just in case. NOT CHEAP, by no means even for a wrecked one. Hopefully given a week or two my 02 will be back up and running normal.

I Support ClubWRX
    Great news on the piston. Have fun.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast