Boost problem? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Boost problem? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The line above the alternator that is cut looks to be the vacuum line that goes to the OEM boost ...

The line above the alternator that is cut looks to be the vacuum line that goes to the OEM boost control solenoid. I would go to a Subaru dealer or Ebay and get the oem vacuum lines and hook it back up like it was stock just to be on the safe side. Also you said that you are only reading around 5psi but the car still runs good? The stock boost is around 12psi so I am kinda curious if the gauge is working at all. Is the boost gauge swinging up and down with throttle input or just staying steady no matter what you are doing?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The boost gauge seems to be working. It is at 0 when off and when running its down in the negative and jumps around with throttle... With the manual boost controller idk how to set it right or what to do with it. It's threaded out some but I almost doubts right.

I should also tell you that the 1st owner did most f the work and had the access port. The guy I got it from said he kept the ap and he added the Perrin intake.. So how is it that the car has been fine during his time. I'm the 3rd owner and I'm sure because I checked with car fax

i would honestly bring it to a shop at this point.

let them go over everything and then give you a proper tune.

I Support ClubWRX
    To etune you will need either an Access Port an Open Port 2.0 Tactrix cable and a laptop. The later is far more versatile and cheaper (albeit not quite as user friendly). You will also need a wideband O2 sensor, gauge, and logging cable.

Most tuners I know prefer either an EBCS or an EBCS along with a MBC. Tuning with a MBC alone can be done, but you introduce the danger of partial throttle full boost situations which is a bad thing.

If you include the cost of the Tactrix cable and wideband gauge into the overall cost of doing an etune, along with the fact that most etunes are more of a base map than anything, I would go ahead and take it into a shop somewhere that they can look the car over for any additional problems you don't already know about, and get it a real tune on a dyno.. (sorry for the run-on).

Sounds like I'm making a trip to a dyno

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Street tunes can be much more time consuming and require a WBO2 sensor, but can also be more rewarding (and cheaper) in the long run.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Street tunes can be much more time consuming and require a WBO2 sensor, but can also be more rewarding (and cheaper) in the long run.

Lots of tuners that do street only tunes will provide their own wideband.. my guy works it over on the dyno, then takes the car out on the street for as long as it takes to finish the tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Fusionf21 View Post
    I should also tell you that the 1st owner did most f the work and had the access port. The guy I got it from said he kept the ap and he added the Perrin intake.. So how is it that the car has been fine during his time. I'm the 3rd owner and I'm sure because I checked with car fax

But have you ever drove a stock WRX? If not how do you know if it is running fine? It might not have anywear near the power that it should have compaired to a stock wrx and judging from the looks of the work done to the car I would say that the guy that did the modding didn't know what the hell he was doing.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by sjcurtis View Post
    judging from the looks of the work done to the car I would say that the guy that did the modding didn't know what the hell he was doing

Unfortunately this is all too often the case.

I drove a stock wrx around the block so doubt that counts.. Im gonna get the cobb ap and get a tune as soon as i can get an appointment. In the meantime im going to just be easy on her and not go into boost. unfortunately I'm a noob to the turbo and subaru world. I came from owning 2 jeeps and went from a 99 to an 08 so its a bit of a difference to me

I've read that having a mbc isn't good for the car... How can I go about getting rid of it? Can Someone show me what I would need to replace it. I ordered the ap and I'm going to get a tune but want to replace this thing before I do.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123