Boost problem? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Boost problem? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Obviously there's a lot more to it than just that.. there are open/closed loop fueling issues, delay, etc. But I ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Obviously there's a lot more to it than just that.. there are open/closed loop fueling issues, delay, etc. But I don't really feel like writing the book of Subaru engine failures right now.

The older 16-bit ECUs were able to handle minor adjustments better, but since your car has a 32-bit ECU, I wouldn't gamble with any of these things.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ok got ya lol. Well I guess I'll be purchasing the Cobb access port tonight. It says overnight shipping.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusionf21 View Post
    Ok got ya lol. Well I guess I'll be purchasing the Cobb access port tonight. It says overnight shipping.

Access Port does not have maps designed for Perrin intakes, or MBCs. So you would still need to pay for a real tune. I'd save your money and just get an OpenSource tune.

Hopefully I didn't do any damage already

Where do I get an open source tune

I Support ClubWRX
    If it's running wastegate pressure boost and has been driving/running smoothly, I'd guess that it's alright for now. But I wouldn't push my luck. Spun bearings can happen in a day, or a year, depending on the severity of the issue.

Well basically I will get this done ASAP. I don't want to spend a fortune so what is my option. My friend is saying get the access port and get a dunno tunned but that's gonna cost 600 for Cobb access and 400 for tune. Now what is the open source tune? I'm new so I do need some explaining. Or send me where I can get the open source tune if that's better

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm not familiar with your area, but I know there are plenty of reputable shops in the Tri-State area.

Akuma Motorsports
    Broken Motorsports
    EFI Logics
    Metric Subaru Performance Tuning
    XX-Tuning
    Percision Tuning
    AZP Installs
    Area 1320
    The Shop

Those are just some of the names I found in the NASIOC Tri-State Vendor Review thread with positive comments. Some of them probably don't have in house tuners, but I'm sure they would be more than willing to recommend someone.

I Support ClubWRX
    OpenSource only requires that the tuner have the cable to tune your car. You don't have to buy any hardware, so you just pay for the tune itself. It's not any "better" than using an Access Port, they both do the same thing essentially (flash maps to the stock ECU). The main difference is with OpenSource you don't have to pay for the Access Port.

Certain tuners will only use certain tuning methods. Both OS and AP are pretty widespread, so many tuners will do it either way.

I Support ClubWRX
    It looks like Mike Botti AKA (STi Mikey) is working at Akuma Motorsports now. I haven't dealt with him personally, but I have some limited experience working with his friend on the West Coast, Ron Watson. Both are excellent OpenSource tuners.

Looking at pics of Akuma Motorsports' facility, it looks pretty nice. Although I have no personal experience with them, I feel comfortable giving them a recommendation. Welcome to Akuma Motorsports

thanks i will look into it. My friend recommended evans tuning. It looks like a good place. He is a lot closer to me too

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    From the looks of it, that's an MBC... the ECU has no control over the boost whatsoever!
    Yeah,and I doubt it's tuned for it.
    Last edited by Donkey; 08-26-2012 at 04:53 PM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

another question about tuning.. Can i do etune? my friend said something about it.

yes, but you will need a tactrix cable.

sti mikey and ron do etunes under the name phattbotti.

I'm basically looking at getting the dyno tune with Cobb ap for about $1000
    Open source for 450
    Or etune (do I need Cobb ap also)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast