Knocking sound after acceleration...

This is a discussion on Knocking sound after acceleration... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I've only have like 1900 miles on my 2012 wrx sedan and I just noticed that there is this ...

Knocking sound after acceleration...

So I've only have like 1900 miles on my 2012 wrx sedan and I just noticed that there is this sound after I accelerate a little bit, almost sounds like it's coming from the pedals... So I hit the gas and then maybe a second later I hear, knock, knock with like a second between the two knocks. I was like a mile away from home when I started hearing it so I'll have to see if it's still doing it tomorrow. I know a lot of you have that clicking sound when you push it the clutch, and so does mine, since like 500 miles, but now it seems like there is a noise coming from the pedal area no matter what I hit, gas, break, or clutch... Kinda worried about it, but very happy I have my warranty.
    Something else about this after acceleration noise, it sounds a lot like a bottle of water moving. If you want to know what I'm talking about, get a bottle of water that's half full and then tip it one way and then the other, that's exactly what it sounds like
    Last edited by BPanda; 08-24-2012 at 03:32 PM.
    2012 WRB WRX Sedan ...
    BPanda Build
    ...On order since 5/14/2012
    ...Picked up on 6/29/2012

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

strange man I haven't heard this sound in my 2010 with 16k miles on it. I hear about people having problems with their clutches making a noise. But hey man, it's a subaru. It seems like our cars are destined to make funny noises. With that much mileage on your 2012 I don't think you have anything to worry about, you are completely stock right? If you are so worried about it take it in under warranty, that's a nice thing to have.

Could be a failed motor or trans mount, or any number of the horrible, too soft for a 3000lb car, bushings in the suspension.

I have a chattering in the left front that I feel through the pedals over uneven pavement, I'm convinced its the rear most inner bushing on the driver side front lower control arm.

If your car only has 1900 miles on it, you should bring it back to subaru. It's your obligation to take it straight to Subaru to give them a chance to fix the problem before it gets worse. If it is a motor or trans mount, you can easily cause some serious damage to the transmission by continuing to drive it.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

I'm a teacher and the closest subaru dealer is 45 miles away so I can't just go during the week to get this done. But yeah, the car is completely stock, well, just an AB exhaust and some cosmetic things, nothing to the engine though.
    2012 WRB WRX Sedan ...
    BPanda Build

Buddy of mine has 12 sti with 1k miles and one of the motor mount bolts was almost out. Check them out

Motor mounts for the wrx's are under the car aren't they, kind of tucked away?
    2012 WRB WRX Sedan ...
    BPanda Build

My previous vehicle had a similar "water moving" sound, turned out to be a little tester in the a/c system. The sound I was hearing was a gate opening to test the refrigerant, possibly the same sort of thing?

I have INCREDIBLE hearing apparently. So I just took the car out again to try to hear the sound to figure where it was coming from. I realized it almost sounded like it was coming from inside the car, same as that click sound from the clutch that everyone seems to get. I stopped and pulled over and started to try to recreate the sound by pushing in the pedals and stuff, nothing happened. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a water bottle jammed under my seat. It was my girlfriend's... I'm just happy it wasn't anything wrong with the car, lol, I'm impressed that I could describe the sound exactly as written in my original post saying it sounded like water going back and forth
    2012 WRB WRX Sedan ...
    BPanda Build

I Support ClubWRX
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Omg lol!!!

I had something similar happen to me, thought I had something wrong with a wheel bearing or something on the camaro, turned out to be a perfectly smooth/round rock in my tread on the back driver side wheel.. popped it out and all was well again.
    My most recent incident, the Camaro was bogging terribly under WOT with no CEL and nothing visually wrong. I have a K&N filter so I thought possibly oil was on the MAF causing this. Took the intake apart and on the screen in the MAF housing was a 14" long piece of foam strip that was supposed to keep my air box sealed in the back. The adhesive failed and it sucked up into my MAF and on its way to the throttle body before the screen stopped it, luckily. Took it out and the car leaves black marks to 50+mph again Not trying to thread jack just thought id share a similar easy fix that was driving me crazy.
    Glad to hear your subby is all better after a similar fix lol.

Chris
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

Quote Originally Posted by BPanda View Post
    I have INCREDIBLE hearing apparently. So I just took the car out again to try to hear the sound to figure where it was coming from. I realized it almost sounded like it was coming from inside the car, same as that click sound from the clutch that everyone seems to get. I stopped and pulled over and started to try to recreate the sound by pushing in the pedals and stuff, nothing happened. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a water bottle jammed under my seat. It was my girlfriend's... I'm just happy it wasn't anything wrong with the car, lol, I'm impressed that I could describe the sound exactly as written in my original post saying it sounded like water going back and forth
    Well no wonder, look at those freakin ears!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"