Turbo cool down? Service intervals?

This is a discussion on Turbo cool down? Service intervals? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; One of the trucks I drove for work a few years ago was a turbo diesel truck, and my boss ...

Turbo cool down? Service intervals?

One of the trucks I drove for work a few years ago was a turbo diesel truck, and my boss was very insistent that I let the truck idle for 10 minutes after a long run to cool down the turbo. There was also a sticker next to the ignition about how important it was to cool down the turbo. I have heard about that before, but I'm not sure if its necessary in all turbocharged vehicles. Should I idle my 2012 wrx after a long and/or hard run to cool it down?

Also I'm concerned about the recommended service intervals.. They suggest every 7500 miles or 7 months.. I know its synthetic oil, and you can go farther with synthetic between oil changes.. But 7500 seems like a lot. I also don't drive a while lot. I have a van I use for work, so since I got the car in may, I've only done 1200 miles. Id feel comfortable doing service every 3 months, but am I just wasting money doing it that frequently? Also should I be doing my first service sooner since I have no idea how long my car has been sitting around with the oil in it from the day the engine was built?
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You do NOT need to do a cool down cycle. Our WRX/STi's have a secondary coolant reservoir that cools the turbo after shutdown.
    Although it has been mentioned before that if driven VERY hard, as in tracking the car a light cool down drive is recommended.

Service interval is a huge debate. But the general consensus is: Subaru built the damn car, did all the R&D. Who are we to say they're wrong.

Hope you're enjoying the car!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    You do NOT need to do a cool down cycle. Our WRX/STi's have a secondary coolant reservoir that cools the turbo after shutdown.
    Although it has been mentioned before that if driven VERY hard, as in tracking the car a light cool down drive is recommended.

Service interval is a huge debate. But the general consensus is: Subaru built the damn car, did all the R&D. Who are we to say they're wrong.

Hope you're enjoying the car!
    Great advise! yea and if you listen when you kill the engine you can hear the turbo coolant system kicking in. however take it easy on the engine until it warms up a little. let the engine get a little warm before running it hard.
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.

I Support ClubWRX
    The coolant circulates due to the temperature differential, and no you don't need any cool down or a turbo timer etc. Best to take it easy the last few miles though.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    The coolant circulates due to the temperature differential, and no you don't need any cool down or a turbo timer etc. Best to take it easy the last few miles though.
    This. I find that the easy drive through my neighborhood to my house is sufficient.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    +1

Also, you don't really hear the passive cooling system "kick in", the car just ticks for a little while as the hot metal cools. It's an ingenious cooling system that requires no power, but just uses the laws of thermodynamics to circulate the coolant, as myco said.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Very informative! Thanks for all the input guys!