Oil burning

This is a discussion on Oil burning within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I purchased my 2010 WRX a year ago with 22,000 miles on it. It now has 37,000 miles. I've been ...

Oil burning

I purchased my 2010 WRX a year ago with 22,000 miles on it. It now has 37,000 miles. I've been following what I've read around the internet about using full synthetic oil and changing it every ~7500 miles. This last oil change the mechanic told me I was a quart and a half low.

That's a lot low... uncomfortably a lot low. Have any other non-2011 owners been following the 7500 miles/full synthetic rule with better luck or have you stuck with the regular oil, 3750 mile rule? From what I gather around the internet oil burning on low mileage, healthy EJ25 engines isn't exactly rare. Can anyone confirm or deny this statement? I'm worried it's broken :-P

Regardless I believe I will be paying much closer attention to my oil level in the future.

Also of note I do a lot of city driving and live in a place where the weather varies a lot from 105 F in the summer to maybe 0F in the winter but I don't accelerate in excess. I mean, it happens, certainly, if it didn't I would be silly for owning a WRX, but I drive like a mature adult 95% of the time. To quantify that, I average about 23.5mpg in 70-80% city driving (this is calculated by me, not by the inaccurate dash calculator.)
    2010 Subaru WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The manual says to check oil at every fuel stop. I don't, and would worry a bit about the mental state of someone that does, but once a fortnight to once a month is a good idea. You consumed 1,5 qt in 7,5 k mi, not abnormal. You should really keep it topped up though, that's the only issue. I'd not worry but I'd check much more frequently.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Personally check my oil level every 1,000 miles. Just food for thought. Service manuals state depending on brand that up to a half quart of oil every 1,000 miles is not abnormal and not to worry. Top off as needed

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Hey, thanks for the replies guys. It puts my mind at ease to hear that's somewhat normal to burn some oil. I'll definitely check it every 3-4 fillups from now on.
    2010 Subaru WRX

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The manual says to check oil at every fuel stop. I don't, and would worry a bit about the mental state of someone that does, but once a fortnight to once a month is a good idea. You consumed 1,5 qt in 7,5 k mi, not abnormal. You should really keep it topped up though, that's the only issue. I'd not worry but I'd check much more frequently.
    We'd like to consider ourselves extra careful is all =)
    And did you know, the space in front of the battery in an older WRX/STi is just enough to fit 1 quart of oil?
    The more you know.

I Support ClubWRX
    I did not realise that; good to know!
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I check my oil at every fill up, gives me something to do while the pump is going. Paranoid much? Possibly, but it makes me feel warm inside.