Break in period question

This is a discussion on Break in period question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello all I just registered to this forum. I recently got a 2012 Black 5-door WRX and have about 900 ...

Break in period question

Hello all I just registered to this forum. I recently got a 2012 Black 5-door WRX and have about 900 miles on it. At first the clutch was a lil sensitive and grabbed low and shifting was a lil tough in the gearbox but now it has gotten alot smoother, in fact the clutch grabs a little higher now but smoother shifts. Is this normal? This is the first brand new car I've ever had let alone clutch.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yes, normal. As everything beds in the clutch feel/trans smoothness will change. It should get smoother over the first 1000mi.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Thought so, thanks!

i'm at 2.5k and i didn't notice any difference in clutch smoothness?

are you asking or saying that your clutch is not smoother then it was when you just got it....Idk it just feeld smoother to me...its a brand new car and naturally as it breaks it im sure it gets smoother all around, quite possibly could be in my head and am just driving it better then I did the first week, it has been 10 years since my last manual car

You'll notice it will go gear to gear smoother during normal driving, it will also idle better and fuel mileage will increase.. power output will seem to improve too. After the first 1K mi though any change isn't really noticeable. Make sure you do all maintenance on interval or sooner and the car will feel same at 90K mi as it did right after break in. At least, mine does.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

thanks for the responses, and i do notice the gas mileage is improving a bit...I guess I have a bad case of "new car" syndrome, paranoid that I am screwing up the most beautiful thing I have ever purchased and will most def be on top of it with maintenance...such an awesome car!!