2002 wrx with what seems alternator problem
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2002 wrx with what seems alternator problem within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi everybody, I changed 2 year ago my alternator with a refurbished one at the dealer and I think its ...

2002 wrx with what seems alternator problem

Hi everybody,

I changed 2 year ago my alternator with a refurbished one at the dealer and I think its broke again. Even if its a refurbish one, I tought that it would last longer than that... so i dont know if it could be another electrical problem.

Here the symptoms:
    - ABS light turn on.
    - Clock and other lights in the car fade, even head light.
    - Radio may turn off sometimes.
    - Speedometer and RPM indicators (I speek french, I would call this needles) goes down just like the car is off, but in fact, the car still running.
    - Those things happen only for couples of seconds, it can turn ok about 5 to 60 seconds latter, and do it again in few seconds after it turn ok.

So here I am, hoping this is not a critical problem on my car. When i had my first alternator problem, it was those symptoms... so I believe it could be another thing this time.

Any ideas or sugestions of what it could be... is it my alternator again?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It sounds like it is the same thing.

But also make sure that your battery is in good condition as well.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like bad alternator to me too, but I would go ahead and have to battery tested to be sure.

I had the same thing happen with my Maniac Electric alternator and it turned out to just be a loose connection in the regulator. Cheap and easy fix.

My battery is brain new (about a month or 2), so im gona try the connection in the regulator... where is that regulator exactly lol.

by the way, i had this problem just after subaru changed my timing belt, so it would be logical that a connection would be loose

There is also a good chance you have one of the connections on the battery loose. And if the battery is completley dead it will drain and could damage the altenator as well. if you have a volt meter test the volts while the car is running, the volts when running should be 13v and up but not more than 14v. if under 13 volts its the altenator. but check batt conn sometimes its the most simplest thing.

also check the conn to the back of the altenator that is where the regulator should be. there should be a single wire with nut and washer that is the power and then a harness connector going to the altenator make sure that is all the way plugged in and check for freyed wires as well.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by phill0124 View Post
    where is that regulator exactly

"H"

thanks for the reply guys!

Yesterday I had the problem back, and i took off a battery connection: the car stopped. So now i know that its the alternator. i gonne try to open it to see if i can fix the regulator (if its broken of course).

thanks MainFrame for the picture, I will try with it.

Hi there,

was not the alternator regulator, going to replace it then.

thanks for all the answer,

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.